PDA

View Full Version : Not reloading the 7-57 no more!!!

Toney
03-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Shot some S&B loads today through my 7mm mauser, man them funny looking bullets shoot good!!! {mabie they help with all that freebore}

I had sold a vz24 to a buddy with a $10 gunshow barrel. I told him to rebarrel it. He told me it shot reall good. For me shooting hornady 139gr bullets on a good day 4" was the best with flyers way out there. Mabie he was right.

Yep them S&B's out did my best handload, they were shooting around 1.3" out of a new 19 3/4" surplus barrel

rocklock
03-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Toney,

What weight are the S&B bullets?

My 1895 Chilean shoots the heavier 175 gr. bullets much better than the 139 grainers.

Toney
03-01-2006, 02:54 AM
I think there 175grs, they was'nt in a box

d-o-k
03-01-2006, 03:37 AM
I know the bullet your talking about .Damned if I can think of the weight though! There sometimes called the pencil bullet over here ! I take it there the RN ? These were what were first used in the 7x57 hense the freebore

Dave

Toney
03-01-2006, 03:42 AM
These are weird looking has no taper at all with a little cone on top with a base not as big as the bullet more like a simiwadcutter weird

d-o-k
03-01-2006, 04:20 AM
These are weird looking has no taper at all with a little cone on top with a base not as big as the bullet more like a simiwadcutter weird

Yep Thats what we call a pencil bullet to seat them at the right lenght take a empty case & then cut the neck down to the shoulder on eithier side with a thin hacksaw so it has 2 slots & will expand & contract .Then place a bullet with the Base just inside the neck & chamber it in the rifle!Gently!!!!! Then remove the dummy round care fully & put it into you bullet seating die & then wind the seater punch down (gently ) until it just touches the bullet & then wind it off one third of a turn & you have the right seating depth as the bullet reaches the lands (or the Leade which ever school of thought you belong to ) & the bullet is then forced back into the case.Until the case is fully chambered. By turning the seating punch back a third of a turn your allowing for enough free bore!

Dave