PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a gun, no a Star...Sopranno lyricsa

Bigbore44
02-18-2006, 02:56 AM
A Star is born, no a Star is bought used from a good friend back in PA. Though it be used it is in remarkable good shape for one of the older models.

Came with seven lube dies and bullet punches. Has bolt-on base heater, and the price was right.

Never thought I'd own one of these prized lube-sizers as they cost an arm and a leg new. Prices on the auction sites prohibited me from thinking about buying one, as those guys go nuts out bidding each other until the prices get higher than new.

Got it all set up to work but no bullets, have to wait until the weather gets warmer before heading for the garage and the casting pot. Its below zero right now here...so its going to be awhile.

Jim

Toney
02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Nice!!! Looks tough

C1PNR
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I certainly understand your waiting for the right deal to turn up. Looks like you've got the popular pistol calibers covered. Do you cast for rifle?

I'm still waiting for the right deal, and may never make the switch since I've got so much Lyman/RCBS stuff.

yodar
02-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Every time I see one of those I am reminded of the tools Torquemada used in his dungeons...those dont look idiot-proof or user-friendly ;>)

Yodar

Bigbore44
02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Hello, all.

C1PNR, no, I don't do any rifle reloading, just mainly revolvers...older S&W models in large bore calibers. Certainly hope a good friend that knows someone who has a good used Star that is within your price range. If it wasn't for a great pal in PA I still wouldn't have mine.

Don't know who the hell Torquemada is??? But the Star is pretty straight forward bullet lubebing process...very easy...a no brainer. You set a bullet in lube die, pull the handle and squirt some lube into the grooves and you shove in another bullet and push that finished one out the bottom. Done!

However, in the on going process I find I need a good used Star .454 diameter lube die and base punch, and yes I know I can buy one from Magma Engineer of AZ. But I'm pretty cheap to have to pay new price.

Jim

versifier
02-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Don't know who the hell Torquemada is??? Jim

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!

Bigbore44
02-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Ahhh, I'm such a dunce about ancient history.

The Spanish Inquistion, the early rendition of Toney Soprano type using impliments of torture in their Bada Bing club basements to keep the flock in line.

But the Star luber is a thing of beauty and unique design, how can you possibly associate it with a knuckle busting finger remover??? Not that I intend to try it out on anyones fingers...but it could do some damage at that.

Thanks for the clarification, and the Star did do some damage to my wallet, but I love it for lubing boolits.

Jim

LAH
04-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Yes Bigbore, is that a Lyman All American Turret Press I see there?.......Creeker

Bigbore44
04-16-2006, 04:30 PM
It sure enough is a Lyman all American press that use to be a horrible shade of red, but I painted it Lyman orange and it blends in better with the rest of my junk.

Its one of my favorite presses for working up loads in. Love the ball indent turret.

Jim :-D