PDA

View Full Version : 10 ga. shoutgun anyone?

Mosko
02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm about to load some 10 ga 3" for an old English, wire barrel, double gun. Do any of you guys have any experience with these?

versifier
02-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Wire Barrel? Does that mean Damascus?

Mosko
02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know if they are Damascus specifically. I have been told, or read somewhere that there is another method / type that was sometimes used on some of the older English guns.

However the process of wraping the flat wire then forging was used, because the spirals can be seen on the barrels.

I suppose the word "Damascus" can be used to describe the type barrels on any of them though.

versifier
02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't have any bp or subs data for shotshells at all, which is what I assume you need. But, you might try over on the CB board. Someone there could at least point you in the right direction.

d-o-k
02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
I suppose the word "Damascus" can be used to describe the type barrels on any of them though.

Word of warning do not attempt to use Smokeless powder or even heavy loads of Black powder in a Gun with Damascus Barrels ! They are just not up to it & will blow up on you .I have seen the result of this in a Old 12g double that a Bloke brought & did'nt realise what he had !

Dave

robertbank
02-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Problem as well with Damscus barrels is the potential for unseen rust within the wrappings. Damacus barreled guns should be hung on a wall IMHO and just admired for what they are and were. Hands, eyes and face don't come easy to replace.

Stay Safe

Mosko
02-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the replies Gents! This double 10ga belonged to my uncles father who was stationed in England during WWI. He purchased and brought the sporting gun home after the war, and hunted with it occasionally up into the 50's. He passed it on to my uncle Rick, who a few days ago gave it to me.

The interesting thing about this shotgun is, that when I was about 12 years old, my uncle let me use it during a bird hunt. I hadn't seen, or even thought of it since then, until a few days ago when it gave it to me.

The old gun is like new mechanically, locks up tight and has been well cared for. It's one of the Issaac Hollis premium extensively engraved models.

I set up the press last night, and am going to load some field loads today of approx 12ga field load power.

I don't intend to fire it alot, but I do not have any weapon that I can't, or won't fire. It's just one of my rules. If it won't shoot something, I don't keep it!

versifier
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Do you have any idea of what it is worth? Might be nice to know that before risking anything, either the gun or your face. As robertbank pointed out, you cannot always see any surface indication of the weak areas. Inclusions in the metal oxidize over time and you never know until they let go. Even if it has been wonderfully cared for, there's just no way to know. Field loads are not necessarily light loads from a pressure standpoint. If you don't believe in keeping "non-shooters", it might be well be worth enough to to a collector that you could buy several "shooters" and a good supply of ammo/components to go with them.

Mosko
02-11-2006, 03:19 AM
I could never get never get rid of it, I'm sure I'll give it to my son one day. I looked on some of the antique and collectors auctions. I saw a couple that sold, or were for sale, at near a 1000 bux that looked to be in the same shape.

The kind of neat thing is that there is a dark spot on the left side of the stock, and also one on the right. I asked uncle about it and he said, "face oil, dad was left handed, and I am right"!

And as far as firing it, I'm not going to do anything more or less than uncle and great uncle, have been doing since 1916 or so. I wouldn't suspect the gun is in any worse shape now, that it has ever been.

Any firearm can be damaged by firing it, even new ones. I loaded my first 10 ga round tonight, after dis assembling one of the 5 rounds that cane with the gun. (It was a Western paper case, 2 7/8"). I fired 2 of the 5 and cut the one apart for duplication purposes.

Not knowing the powder used, I am reducing the charge 20% for the 1st test round, and will build from there to the approx power of the two I fired.