PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 77/22Hornet

Joe Bob
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Target looks like it's been hit with a load of 00 Buck. Anyone having the same problem? Accuracy is totally absent. I've tried different ammo and nothing helps...not even a little. Checked and re-checked all screws, bolts, etc (including scope and mounts) nothing helps. Thinking about turning it into a fishing rod, pretty soon.

Toney
01-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the guide Joe Bob!!! Sorry to here about your ruger, you never here anything bad about ruger handguns. But it seems like i read alot about the rifles. And there nice rifles with a really fine finish.

How big is your group? Is the crown damaged? Is it a new gun?

d-o-k
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the site Joe Bob ! Your problem with your Hornet seems to be a common problem with this model of Ruger (Some what unusal for Rugers ) From what I have seen over here they are either deadly accurate or won't shoot worth a damn ! Have you tried differant loads ? I have read of using loads with pistol powders & small pistol primers . This may help . If not I would be looking at getting a CZ (Bruno) or a #3 ruger in the hornet

Dave

Bullshop Junior
01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Joe Bob
We have lots of experiance with them Ruger hornets here. Have had at least half a dosen at different times and still have two now. They dont have a great rep for accuracy but with some tricking can be made to shoot.
The older models with 1/16" twist dont seem to want to handle anything over 45gn. The newer 1/14" twist guns seem to be more user friendly with a wider range of bullet weights.
The two newer stainless laminated guns we have shoot great and only needed a little triger work.
The most stuborn one I ever had was an older wallnut stock blued with the 1/16" twist. I ended up bedding the barrel and the receiver and it would shoot a few loads darn good. We only shoot cast in our hornets here so all referance is to cast.
What I would look for first from the sound of it is a tight spot on one side of the barrel. Ruger is notorious for leaving a pressure hump at the tip where the sling stud mounts. The barrel never seems to settle in the same spot on this hump. Take it out of the stock and see if a spot on the barrel is being pollished. If so you will have to relieve the tight spot.
Once its even all around try putting a little forend tip pressure on the barrel and see what it tells ya. If that doesnt do anything good I would then float the barrel. If that doesnt do it I would then bed the barrel full length.
An equaly important check point is the recoil lug. If it is not beded solidly and evenly it will cause you grief. The cure is to bed the reciever.
If you decied to bed it it has to be done in two steps because the way the top and bottom peaces fit together.
Sounds like a lot of bother but when this is done especialy with the laminated stock you end up with a realy stable platform that will hold a zero through anything you can put it through. Hope this helps, dont give it up yet brother. I promis you havent pulled as many haires as me over the hornet over the years, but even so it is still my second most favorite cartridge.
BIC/BS

kg42
01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Any damage to the barrel crown?

http://www.yarchive.net/gun/barrel/barrel_crowning.html

kg

Joe Bob
01-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Naw, everything looks good...Rifle is brand new, too. 00 buck pattern is at 25 yards on top of all that. Sumbich won't even zero. JB

kg42
01-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Darn.... Loose sights?

Joe Bob
01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
New, Stainless Steel, Laminated Stock, no sights...scope only. Checked scope, mounts and base. All looks good. Pattern is about eight inches at 25 yards. Know what? I'm gonna' put another scope on it. May be the scope has bugs in the internal works. THEN if that don't work, I'm gonna' do what Bullshop JR advised. Gonna' go to work on the stock!!! I THINK. Oh, by the way, how do I get rid of the "gunload trainee" that is under my name on this board? I didn't put it on there...musta' been deamons.

Toney
01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
That might work!!! I'd be pulling my hair out. You know a rifle without a problem to slove is kinda boring, i guess thats why i like them old pawn shop buba's and the surplus stuff so much

Bullshop Junior
02-01-2006, 05:00 AM
umm, we got alittle proplem here. That post was not from bull shop junior. it was from bull shop, and he forgot to log it into his name when I has done.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Joe Bob
02-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Oh well, it's all in the family. 'Preciate all the help I can get. JB

lovedogs
03-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Besides the before-mentioned problems with the Ruger Hornet there is another common problem with them. It's their two piece bolt. On some there's enough slack between the two pieces that they don't lock up real good. I saw a fix for that on some web site. It had to do with disassembling the bolt and placing a spacer between the two to tighten things up. It makes real tack drivers out of the ones with this problem. I think I saw that fix on one of the links on Varmint Al's Favorite Links Page. If you look there you may find a way to fix your Hornet. If you can't find it there, any bona fide real good gunsmith may have heard of that fix and could do it quite easily. It would cost next to nothing to put a spacer in there. Good luck!