PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some info

bluelour
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I am looking for some reloading info. I have Silver State 9mm. 122gr. LSWC bullets and Win.-231 powder. Any suggestions?

rda72927
11-16-2012, 03:52 AM
I have no data for that powder. Any other choices?

versifier
11-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome to The Guide both of you.

What manuals do you have? All of mine (Sierra, both Lyman's regular & CBH, Lee, etc.) have listings for W231 and 124gr bullets of either and/or both cast and jacketed varieties. It is always safe to use data for a slightly heavier bullet, and with many handgun rounds except the hottest revolver cartridges data for both cast and jacketed is the same. Before I start posting charge weights I'd like to be sure we're all on the same page. ;)

bluelour
11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I currently don't have a manual right now, I have some data from a set of Lee 9mm dies and some from on-line sources.

versifier
11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Sorry to rain on the parade, but there is a very real safety issue involved here that I think you need to understand. I see the single most important job of being a forum moderator is insuring and insisting on safe loading practices at all times, and starting out without the necessary data is violating most basic of them all. And it doesn't hurt any of use to refresh our memories and give it some careful thought on a regular basis. You may or may not be the novice I assume you to be, but even if not, many new loaders check this site out, too, so it behooves me to be very aware of everything that gets posted so no one gets themselves into trouble that could easily have been avoided. I'd rather be accused of preaching to the choir than of failing to speak up when necessary. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

Reloading manuals are the cheapest life insurance money can buy. IMO, after reloading for close to forty years and teaching it for much of that, you are needlessly risking your life and the lives of those shooting near you without them. Two current manuals are the minimum, three is better and more is best. All of them explain the loading process in detail, and each does it in a slightly different way, giving a more complete perspective on the whole process. Without these reference sources, you have no way to objectively evaluate loading data that you come across (like, for instance, data posted on a forum). Those that compile the manuals are humans, too, and can occasionally make mistakes. That mistake might just happen to be in the data you plan to use. With only one source, the only way to find out is the hard way, and that is not acceptable. It is always safest to double and triple check any prospective load with different sources to catch these errors before inadvertantly earning oneself a Darwin Award. You only get ONE big mistake loading ammo, so it's much better to use some foresight and not make it in the first place. Buy the manuals and read them first. There are no safe short cuts. Then come back and ask all the questions you want and we will happily answer them for you, and that includes hard to find data too.

rda72927
11-18-2012, 03:30 AM
If the question about manuals was also pointed at me, I have the current Speer, Hornady, Nosler and (personal favorate) Sierra. Starting with those to build my own history of data. Me earlier response was a statement of my own use and have not used W231.

noylj
11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
You can go to the powder manufacturer's web site.
Recommend the Lyman Cast Bullet manual or Lyman #49.
From Hodgdon web site:
125 GR. LCN Winchester 231 .356" 1.125" 3.9gn 1009fps 25,700 CUP 4.4gn 1086fps 31,200 CUP
Start with 3.9gn and work your way up.