PDA

View Full Version : New Cleaners

casullman
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Has anyone tried either Gunzila or Mil-comm cleaners,solvents and lubes? Has anyone seen these for sale other than on their respective sites? Gunzila claims to be odor free, this appeals to me considering when you go out into the wild smelling like a coffee swilling, gaseous hamburger eating, chemical factory eliminating one of these would be good, but gunzila is "organic" so how well can it work? Mil-comm has quite the endorsement on its site but no information elsewhere that I found.

versifier
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
"Organic" is a technical term meaning "containing carbon". Period. Do not confuse it with the current popular use pertaining to foods and fertilizers/pesticides/fungicides, unless you're into mixing gun cleaning products with your vodka, a practice I do not recommend, in which case what you have is organic in composition, but not "organically" produced. (If I were going to poison myself, it ought to at least taste good I think.) Every solvent except water is organic.

PR departments are famous for producing nothing more than a load of organic fertilizer. Yes, gun cleaning products often have a strong chemical reek, but honestly, who in their right mind would clean a firearm just before going out hunting anyway? Within a week or so, most organic solvents completely evaporate, but many popular lubes especially spray-ons do have noticable and lingering odors and I avoid their use on hunting rifles and shotguns.

Many of the most successful hunters I know reek of tobbacco and the gaseous products of camp cookery. That includes the bowhunters. I'm NOT saying that being conscious of your own scents is not a smart thing to do, but basic hunting and stalking skills like awareness of the wind direction and the ability to read terrain count for a lot more in terms of filling the freezer.

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 05:50 PM
if you just walk along imitating the sound of a tractor i think you will fool them...
there aren't many smells that a deer hasn't been exposed to,and don't associate with something good or bad. or what the heck?
here in the west, success really depends on you seeing the deer first.
my guns always go hunting with a dirty bore,and a waterproof coating of carnuba wax anyways.
i'd think that my old hunting bag [which i know the dogs can smell deer and birds on] and my boots would put forth enough confusing smells.

if i were that worried about the scent thing i'd use a little bit of a scented candle to rub along the outside of the bbl.

casullman
03-09-2012, 07:07 PM
You both have very valid points. My comment on odor was secondary to the question of these new "Organic or Natural or Super Duper military endorsed cleaners" are worth a try , say if a guy is out of something. i am usually open to newer "improved" things generally speaking, however ido like to research a bit before I drop any coin , even if its only $10 or $15. As for hunting technique, now days with the wolves and bears and coyotes on the rampage and an increase in hunters and decrease in hunting land (that actually holds deer) a hunter, both bow and gun, like me does well to use as many ethical and fundamental factors to his advantage as is reasonable. the irony here is I have probably seen more "trophy" animals from a machine, brush hog, mower, weilding a chainsaw or answering nature's call, than from the "field" (notice I omitted vehicle). Nontheless I always appreciate any feedback. THank you

Paralaska
03-10-2012, 04:37 AM
I've been using Gunzilla for the past couple of years for everything except my 1911 slides. It is a C-L-P and I think it does pretty good in all three areas. It is ok as a cleaner and seems to do a good job as a lubricant also. I think my guns are easier to clean after having used it a while and it forms a protective barrier. I especially like it on my AR BCGs (which I run fairly wet).

j1
03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
I have been using foaming carburetor cleaner to clean the barrel. You squirt it in, let it foam, wait about half an hour and put your bore brush then a patch through. The G M version works pretty well.

PARA45
03-16-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm currently using something new for me. Bore Tech Eliminator bore cleaner; this stuff is fantastic on removing copper. It doesn't smell bad, and it's very easy to use.

elkhunter77
03-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Oscar, is that a foaming cleaner like WipeOut? That is what I use, and it works well, just a bit messy having to foam the bore and all.

30-40 Kraig
03-17-2014, 09:31 PM
I have been using the bore tech eliminator for about 10 years now. I use it in combination with the foaming cleaners. There is a product called wipeout eccelerator that make the foaming cleaners work better. I will use the ammonia products sparingly because I was told they can damage the bore if left too long. I don't think there is much difference between the foaming cleaners.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461265/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-bore-cleaning-solvent-accelerator-8-oz-liquid

PARA45
03-17-2014, 11:45 PM
No Mark, this stuff is liquid, and its amazing how it works. You can't use anything that has copper or brass or you'll get false readings and never stop cleaning the rifle.....ask me how I know that...LMAO!!!! this stuff you run 3-4 patches with Bore Tech, let it sit for 5-10 min and then run a wet patch and dry patches after that, repeat as needed or until you don't see any traces of blue. I read about it on the Weather Nation forum, and I'm sold on it.

j1
03-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I have been using bronze brushes for over fifty years now. Will they give me a blue or green color on the patches which follow? You think I should switch to nylon bristle brushes?

Kirbydoc
10-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Yes. (Yes I know how old this thread is and Yes bronze brushes will give you a blue color.)

You think I should switch to nylon bristle brushes?
If you want to know when you are done... otherwise... [smilie=b: