PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt LFN 250 grain bullet loaded in 45acp?

mewahl7
02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
has any one loaded 250 grain LFN in 45 ACP?

versifier
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Welcome to The Guide.

I have shot bullets of that weight in 45ACP's, but they were RN. Make up a dummy and see if it will feed in your pistol.

kodiak1
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I have shot a few in my Colt. They were giving me a little problem hanging up going in the chamber till I put a smidgen of a crimp on them and seated them so that the crimp rolled to the meplat.

Ken.

tsp45acp
02-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Just realized it's my first post as well. Been a lurker for a long time.

250rnfp/255lswc. That's what I have loaded almost exclusively for the last 7-8 years. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't load a 300 gr rnfp either.

The biggest issue with the big cowboy bullets is the OAL. Most don't/wont believe me when I tell them they have to seat them very short. My normal oal for these bullets is 1.175 to 1.195.....right at or just below the crimp (wax) groove. There are very few loads listed for these bullets. I normally start at the beginning load listed for a 230rnl (with a listed powder) and this gets you a mid-level pressure and you wont have to change your recoil spring.

What is your main purpose for these loads? Plinking/target/range/hunting ? My main bowling pin load has been a +P load with these bullets. PM me with your questions and I'll give you some more in depth info. What powders do you have or want to use?.....I have used many different powders and have chrono'd loads from 536 fps avg to over 950 fps avg. Tracy