PDA

View Full Version : 45 cal. Sabot black powder bullets loaded for a 45lc

oneyeopn
12-17-2011, 04:40 AM
I purchased some 45 caliber sabot rounds for my wife's black powder rifle before I found out that it did not have enough twist. they have a really nice cu jacketed .36 caliber round that fits inside of the sabot. Has anyone ever tried to load some of these up for a 45 caliber anything. the finished product would be like the Remington Accelerators. So what does anyone think?[smilie=6:

versifier
12-17-2011, 04:54 AM
I have yet to meet a rifle that can read.

The "rb" drop-in barrel on my .54 cal caplock shoots MOA with heavy sabot loads and heavier MaxiBalls as well as with rb's. My 1:10 twist .308 shoots 110gr bullets as well as it does the 150-180's that the books say it should prefer. Then again, some won't, but you won't find the real answer about your rifle in any book.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by giving them a try to see what your rifle's opinion on the matter is.

firefly 1957
01-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Guns and ammo did a story on sabots in a revolver some years ago their biggest object was to fill the cavity with hot melt glue and shot for home defense loads. If I remember correctly the sabots were 44 caliber and held 38 caliber bullets.

Paul B
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
It would be nice to know what the actual diameter and weight of that bullet. Saying .36 caliber covers a multitudr of sins. The weight of the bullet is a factor as well.
I go along with the suggestion to try them first. Strange things happen when you get a bit experimental. One you learn things.
Things like (versifier, are you listening?) heavy bullets like the 220 gr. Sierra round nose shoot perfectly fine from a .308 at 2310 FPS very accurate too. Even one with a 1 in 12" twist, something all the "Eggspurts" in the gun rags say can't happen. Wanna bet?
Paul B.

versifier
01-02-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm listening and I believe it. I watched a guy in our club with a 1:9 twist AR shooting 45gr bullets subMOA. All I can say is when they finally come out with a "smart gun", I just hope it can't read either. But, every so often you come on a rifle that will only shoot one brand and weight of bullet well and make shotgun patterns with everything else, and sometimes it's even what the "optimum" weight is supposed to be. And when you think you've finally got a handle on it after trying several dozen different bullets with as many different powders to find that one combination, then you start trying different cast bullets in it. :mrgreen:

Bottom line: you never learn anything if you are not willing to experiment. Even if all you learn is that what you're trying doesn't work, you would never know that without doing it. But it's the pleasant surprises that make it all worthwhile, and you'll never get one of them either if you are too hesitant to try new things.

I once had a Century import 95Mauser that had been rebarreled by them to .308. It never did better than 2-3" @ 100yds, but it would shoot the same size groups to the same POI with every load I tried in it with bullets from 90 through 190gr, cast and jacketed. I sold it to a kid who will hunt with no other rifle (he's almost 40 now) and only once in all those years has had to fire a second shot at a deer. He did restock it, but that's all. Go figure.

That's what I love most about shooting and loading. Every gun is a new puzzle to solve. Some are easy, some are not, but few can't be made to shoot well with something if you are patient enough. It has kept me out of most trouble for all of my adult life. In all that time I have only given up on one rifle (don't ask), and that one I rebarreled and got it shooting right before it found a new home.

303tom
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I think what the OP was asking was if anyone has loaded a .45 LC metallic cartridge with with a sabot .36 to make like a Remington Accelerator.

Paul B
01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I think what the OP was asking was if anyone has loaded a .45 LC metallic cartridge with with a sabot .36 to make like a Remington Accelerator.

I dunno for sure just what he's asking for. Is his wife's rifle a muzzle loader that you would associate with sabots or is he thinking of trying something with a cartridge gun to do someint like Remington's Accelerator ammo that didn' t do all that well? The details is what we ned and so far, we have none.
I'm going to think muzzle loader until he says otherwise.
Paul B.

Paul B
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
"That's what I love most about shooting and loading. Every gun is a new puzzle to solve. Some are easy, some are not, ...."

+1,000.
My Ruger M77 RSI took almost two and a half years before I found a load that it would shoot into at least a 1.5" group. Finally I found that the 165 gr. Sper Hot-Core would do a consistant 1.5" groups using a powder not really suited to the .308 Win. cartridge. Thne I removed a small amount of metal from the nose cap where it contacted the barrel and groups shrunk to 1.25" on a consistant basis. I have three of those rifles, all in .308 Win. that I got into rather inexpensively because they were not accurate for their original owners. That load that worked in the first rifle has worked just fine in the two others.
Now that groups are bit tighter, I may try other bullets once more to see if they'll shoot decently in thos "one trick ponies".
Time when I think back on what it took to make the first one shoot well, I'm surprised I had the patience to finally work up that load.
Paul B.