PDA

View Full Version : 270 wsm resizing

kcmaine
10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I am having an issue resizing my brass(I think). When I slide my bolt to chamber a cartrige sometimes the cartrige seems tight and it is hard to completely close. It only happens now and then. What am I doing wrong?

fryboy
10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
i'm going to have to guess that you are neck sizing ? and need to bump the shoulder back just a wee bit , either that or full length size , and if you are full length sizing turn your die in a lil bit more

kcmaine
10-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I am full length resizing and I tried to turn the die a little more but then I bulged the case. I'll Try it again and do smaller increments. Thanks for the help

runfiverun
10-08-2011, 01:43 AM
check your case length.
you might have cases that extend past the end of the chamber.
this can be causing higher pressures and errant shots.
full length resizing will cause case fatigue and will contribute to them getting longer.

Paul B
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
"check your case length."

Good idea. You did not say if you were crimping the bullets but if you wee and the cases have stretched even by a small amount, you may have bulged the shoulders of the offending rounds. Try running your fingers over the shoulders of those tight cases. You'd be surprised just how sensitive your fingers can be in detecting the problem. I always run my freshly resized cases through the trimmer. If they haven't stretched, no harm done. But if they have, the excess is removed before it becomes a problem.
I don't think your resizing die is the problem.
However, this is how I set up my sizing die for bottleneck cartridges.

1. Take a once fired factory round and blacken the neck and shoulders with a Magic Marker or Sharpee pen. Some people like to smoke the neck and shoulder, but I find the Magic Marker/Sharpee pen a bit better.

2. Carefully lubricate the case.

3. Loosen the lock ring on the sizing die and back off about two turns from when the die is set to touch the shell holder.

4. Size the case. Note where the marks are on the case and turn the die down about a half a turn and size again. Turn down some more, and resize again. What you are looking for is the marks on the blackening just touching the shoulder.

5. Clean the lube from the case and try it in the rifle. It may chamber just a bit on the snug side. If so, turn the die down ever so slightly, lube and size again. Wipe off the lube and try in the rifle. If it slides in as easily as a factory round, you should be good to go. If not, usually one more very slight adjustment should fix the problem.

6. Tighten the locking ring for the die and you're done. You have just set your sizing die up for a custom fit to your specific rifle, rather than a generic one size fits all guns.

Paul B.