PDA

View Full Version : 223 Remington Jacketed bullet help.

Bullshop Junior
01-18-2006, 02:40 AM
I am wondering what is your favorite bullet for the 223? I can not use a bullet heavier then a 60gn, because 60gn cast will not stabilize. The 60gn jacketed should stabilize because it is shorter. I want the bullet for coyotes, and a heavier one for wolves and caribou.
D-O-K, Please do not give me a brand that is going to be impossible to find in the U.S.A.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-18-2006, 04:32 AM
To bad them jigs that make jackets out of 22 brass are so high

krag35
01-18-2006, 12:37 PM
If it'll help, I have some 60 gr Sierra HP's I could send your way to test. They shoot great out of my Rem. in 223. I wouldn't use them for Caribou.
krag35

versifier
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Sierra 55gr SBT's for the coyotes, and Nosler makes a 60gr PAR for the bigger stuff. I would not personally consider a .22 caliber bullet of any construction for large game, but I know that lots of other hunters wouldn't think twice about it and have had good results with the Noslers on deer. My concern is the same as with, for instance, a non-expanding .30 cal bullet. It takes a perfect shot, or you have a wounded animal, the wound channel is too small. I would prefer one that can expand to a decent diameter, knowing that it will kill quickly and cleanly, and I am not confident the .22's are up to the task. They are not legal for large game here, so it is unlikely that I will see them tested. I do not know if a wolf is tougher to stop than a coyote, but our coyotes often top 100lbs and the SBT's do the job out to 400+ yds, and the Noslers will certainly do the job better if you need them.

shrpshtrjoe
01-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Howdy I like the 50 and 55grain Nosler balistic tips for the 223 I haven't tried the 60gr partition yet but plan to.
Joe

d-o-k
01-26-2006, 08:41 AM
D-O-K, Please do not give me a brand that is going to be impossible to find in the U.S.A.

Well that stuffs that idea up straight away [smilie=b:
No I use & recomend 55 gn Sierras sbts out to 180 yrds on Roos & dingos (& the odd Camel out to 150 yrds NECK SHOTS ONLY ) I buy them by the tousand have have done so for years ,I used to use Speer 52gn HPs but their quality seemed to go down hill ! I tried a Aussie Brand Tiapan (thinking it was still the same company that had traded under that name years before ) I was Bitterly disapointed ! I have never seen so much copper left in a barrel !

Dave

475WLN
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
40gr. Hornady v-max moly and H335 . no coyote survives

d-o-k
03-10-2006, 04:47 AM
G'Day & welcome to the Guide. 475 . Pull up a log & join in the conversation when ever you feel like it, hope to see you here often

Dave

Toney
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the guide 475WLN!!!

Bullshop Junior
03-12-2006, 05:14 AM
Well I tried some of the 60gn Siearra in the 223.........put it this way, it made holes side ways. One other thing is that I traded the bullets for some winchester 50gn psp, and I was trying to seat the bullet for the throat, but the bullet was just sitting on top of the case when it came out of the chamber, so I seated them for the magazine. I hope that I will be able to rebore it to 6X45.
DANIEL/BS JR.

lovedogs
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Personally, after doing predator control on National Wildlife Refuges for 14 yrs. and having hunted all manner of beast for over 50 yrs. I consider the .22 calibers to be strictly varmint rounds. And I'd seriously consider using something larger for Versifier's coyotes. Good grief, our coyotes out west are considered huge if they go 50 lbs. C'mon Versifier, I've heard the Eastern Coyote gets big, but... Do they really get to 100 lbs.?

I used to shoot between 10,000 to 12,000 prairie dogs a year and on average around 30 coyotes a year. Most were shot with a .222, some with a .223, and some with a .22-.250. By far the best coyote bullet (up to 50 pounders) was the Speer 52 gr. HP. Any body hit was DOA and this bullet seldom exits, just blows up violently inside. That makes it good for fur. If fur isn't a consideration either the Hornady 50 or 55 gr. SX works fine. All these are more reasonably priced than the Noslers.

For those 'boos, wolves, and other things you really want to clobber I'd choose a .25-06. The 100 gr. bullets are a little light on big game but with a good, quality one (Nosler Partition or Hornady Interlock) it'll work. Almost any 100 gr. will really ruin a coyote's day... and his hide, too. I suspect it'd do well on a woof, also.

versifier
03-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Lovedogs,
Yes, they do. The averages for males and females are more on the order of 70/55 lbs, but they do get bigger, sometimes a lot bigger. The biggest I have ever seen was taken by a friend with a bow from a ladderstand and weighed more than the 130lb (dressed) doe that it was chasing. I helped load both into his truck and I am sure of the doe's weight because they put her on the scale at the check station, and he was heavier. There are reliable reports of them pushing 150lbs, but I have never personally seen one that big. I have shot two males in the 100lb range, and a few in the 70-80lb range, but I stopped hunting them when my favorite method was outlawed, and they stopped paying decent money for them. Used to be, an ice fisherman could just leave the trashfish on the ice beside the hole, and I would set up on the lake shore 300-400 hundred yards away. They'd come checking things out just before dark, and have to chew the frozen fish off of the ice. If you worked the bolt fast enough, you could drop two before the sound of the first shot reached them, and sometimes a third before they figured out where the shots came from and which way to run.
There are no other predators bigger than a fox or a fisher around here as the last of the wolves were gone by the late 1800's. They kill deer and moose when the snow is too deep to find mice and voles, and even with a pack of them it's not easy to bring down 800+lbs of moose. They are growing to fill the wolves' empty niche. When there were wolves, there were no coyotes here. They moved in over the last 100 years. Interestingly, signs of mountain lion have been seen recently, though, and a friend lost two rabbit beagles to a big cat two years ago. Game warden thought it was a bobcat or maybe a lynx, but I saw the tracks and the bite radius on the neck of one dog. Neither one matched the smaller kitties feet or jaw sizes.
As to bullets, a dog is a dog and they go down a lot easier than a deer. When I was raising sheep, I had a lot more problems with domestic dogs as the sheep were in the barn at night, but 55gr Sierra SBT's made clean one-shot kills even on a huge mastiff that got in with them one day. (That took one BIG hole to bury it, too!) If the 60's tumble, then the 55's should still be stable and accurate. The heavier ones were designed for AR's with the slower twist barrels, but sometimes they shoot well for no apparent reason out of faster twist barrels. It never hurts to check - now you know.

lovedogs
03-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Boy, I'd like to see one of your monster 100 lb. coyotes, Versifier. Our ranchers here have enough trouble with our little coyotes; imagine what a fit they'd have if yours were over here.

Our coyotes are super scared of people and I've never had one get brave. Do those big 'uns ever challenge people there? Would I ever like to call one of those in and get his hide tanned.

With less people hunting than in years past and some of our silly regulations we, too, are starting to see more lions and bears. Here in eastern Mt. our bears are the smaller blacks, but they can still be darn dangerous. Stats show more people attacked by blacks than griz. When I lived up by Choteau, up on the Rocky Mountain Front, near Glacier Nat. Park where there are lots of griz, I quit picking berries because I'd run into a bear every time I went. Makes your hair stand on end when one stands up and eyeballs you in a berry patch so close you can smell them. I carried a 12 ga. with slugs for a while but finally gave it up as they will crucify you for shooting a griz, even if in self-defense. Bears close-up make me nervous!

versifier
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
You hear them much more often than you see them. Very few hunt them now, but ANY hunter around here will shoot at a dog of any sort while deer hunting. They tend to stick to the higher elevations during the warmer weather when the rodents are easy and plentiful, and only come down when the snow gets deep and the deer have yarded up. I really don't know how much luck you'd have calling, but it might work well as I don't know of anyone hereabouts that does it. Most are killed during deer season, and I expect that most are just left where they fell. The last big fur buyer in the area died almost ten years ago, so pelt hunting and trapping has just about dried up. I don't even know where they sell them now, probably somewhere "down Maine" or over in Vermont. If you salt them properly, there's a place down in PA that will tan them - I used to send my sheepskins there while I was still farming.
Usually the black bears around here are long gone when they see or smell you coming, but you do see them occasionally. If you make plenty of noise as you come into the berry patches, they move out fast. I don't hunt them - can't gag the meat down, but many do and the bears know it. A lot go dumpster diving as this is a resort area with many restaurants, so there are always "nuisance bears" for the game wardens to deal with. For some reason this is more acceptable than enforcing dumpster and bird feeder regulations. Go figure. I work for F&G now and asking about it just pisses them off. I suspect they'd rather deal with bears than people. So would I sometimes. :smile: