PDA

View Full Version : is there an esier way to primed milatarybrass

_MIg_
06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
i finaly gotten back to reloading, but having troble with milatary brass. Seems some milatary brass have an extra thing where the prime go in. i dontknow what it is called but looks like a small metal belt, anyhow the 1st time i try to put in the primer i couldnt get it to go in all the way.Now i have 4 cases with primers sticking out. I have use a round file to kinda round the edge and it seems to work for some but others well not so. i have check and i pick up quite a bit of this brass and i have check it and all is good except this problem. Im still a noob at reloading so any advice is wellcome. OH lol and i do tumble my brass and add brass cleaner to the tumbler, lol i like my brass prerrty.

Guesser
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I have used my case mouth chamfer tool to remove the primer pocket crimp if I only had to do a few, very tiring. I have used a drill bit in a slow speed cordless drill, I don't remember which size, you can experiment. There are tools made just for the purpose, some work, almost, some work a little and some are pretty good, but if you only have to do a couple hundred try the drill bit method, slowly, carefully. Good shooting!!!!!!!!!

versifier
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Most mil rifle brass has crimped-in primers. The crimp must be removed and the edge of the primer pocket beveled before you can seat any primers. Once done, you can load the cases normally for the rest of their working life. You can either ream them (whick uses a cutter to remove a bit of metal) or swage them (which used mechanical pressure to force the brass of the pocket back to the correct size/shape).

Reamers are often accessories on case trimmers and some work well, others not so well. I have a Lyman that works on the trimmer or accessory pedestal, about 10% of my .223's have to be touched up with a chamfer tool, but it works perfectly on .308 and -06 cases. (One of these days I will make a holder for my chamfer tool that will work in a small hand drill.)

Swagers are usually press mounted (the RCBS one works well but is slow). Dillon makes the very best one on the market, a bench mounted tool, but it is expensive. I used to have the use of one and I really miss it.

If you're going to use mil brass, you have to deal with it one way or the other. How much you spend depends on how much of it you have to process, and how much your time is worth to you.

hornady
06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
A side note to Versifiers post. I use the RCBS PP Swag; you need a single stage press with a standard ram.
I use the RCBS swag on an old Pacific power – C and it works great for both large and small primer pockets. No guess work as too how much to trim out of a crimped case.

My other two presses are the Hornady LNL auto progressive and the Redding Big Boss. The RCBS will not work properly on either of these presses.
The Redding ram is too large and the cup that pulls the swag out of the cases will not fit over the over size ram.

_MIg_
06-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info gents. I went through my brass and dont have that many miltary brass, so the drillbit and drill will do for now, but if i get more milatarybrass ill get the the correct tool to reprimed them. thanks again for the help.