PDA

View Full Version : Weughing cases

beekeeper
05-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Does anyone do it?
I formed 100 7x57MM Mauser cases from military 30/06 brass and after all was completed,sizing , trimming, cleaning in the tumbler to remove the sizing lube) I decided to weigh them just to see what they weighed.
The weight varies from 180 grains to 189 grains with most in the 183-184-185 range.
How much difference do you think that will make on the reloading /shooting end?
Enough to even worry about?

beekeeper

versifier
05-29-2011, 03:58 AM
With a big game rifle at normal ranges, practically speaking, not much. With a decent target rifle it can make a big difference.

It's another one of those little things that all add up when you have a rifle accurate enough to show the difference. Internal volumes of fire formed cases will vary with the case weights, and that will affect pressure and velocity from round to round. Personally, unless the rifle is really capable of subMOA and/or it's going to be shot beyond 200yds I wouldn't (and don't) bother.

My deer rifle is a .308 bolt that is capable of .5-.75MOA with a good scope on it, but it is fitted with peep sights for fast handling and I can't see clearly enough to shoot at anything live much beyond 200yds, so I don't bother now, but did try it and saw a difference years back when I was doing the load development with a big scope on it.

I weigh cases for my .22-250 varmint rig and have from day one - at longer ranges it matters. We used to shoot golf balls with it at 300-400yds. On paper at that range the POI would shift by a few inches with the same load in different weight ranges of cases. It's the only rifle I have now that I bother weighing cases for - the others are all used for shorter ranges and mostly cast bullets, even those that are accurate enough to benefit from it.

beekeeper
05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info.
From one end of the spectrum to the other is less than 10 grains and for the kin of shooting I do I don't think it will make much difference.
I try not to shoot beyond 200 yards as I do not think I could get a confirmed kill past that with my eyes so I should be OK .
Thanks again

beekeeper