PDA

View Full Version : Shooting rest

beekeeper
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I have a Stony point rest now
It is OK but I was wanting to either make it better or get a new (different ) one.
Was wondering about changing the top by putting ears on it to hold the bag more securely similar to the Sinclair one ( which I can't afford).
Was wondering what others have done to make their rest better?

beekeeper

versifier
05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
It really depends on what you are using the rest for. If your primary use is for varmint hunting, often just a stack of sandbags with a rear bag, or just a long "X" bag will do the trick. If you want to do a lot load testing, something solid but adjustable works better. If you are a hard core long distance paper puncher, then things can get really elaborate. How much recoil you have to contend with is another factor (i.e. do you need a Lead Sled?).

I do mostly 50, 75, & 100yd cast bullet testing and for that I use an old Outers Varminter rest for rifles (needs no rear bag) with a Pistol Perch attachment for my handguns. It pivots for windage and has a knurled adjustment for elevation. I find it much easier to use than the pillar-with-bag type rest you are talking about. Not everyone is comfortable with a setup like that though, so I also keep a long "X" bag in the trunk. At the range we keep a bunch of sand filled rice or shot bags and folks stack them front and back to whatever seems a comfortable height. There is a Lead Sled in the clubhouse for those who need it, but I don't usually shoot anything so abusive that a Past Magnum can't handle it with my regular rest.

beekeeper
05-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Like you I only shoot 50,100,and 200 yard s using lead.
The stony point works good enough except the front rest slides a little from side to side on the rest sometimes and can get a little agrivating sometimes.
The guy who sits at the bench next to me uses a Sinclair rest and laughs at my frustration sometimes.
Thought I would try to make mine a little stouter, ie deeper bag , fence on each side of bag similar to his and see if it helpes me out any.
At my age and bad eyes I need all the help I can get.

beekeeper

Old Ranger
05-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Man you guys are doing alot better than this old man. My range is in my back woods and all I have for a rest to test loads is a folding chair and the ground. I just plop my backside in the dirt. Nestle myself behind my weapon. Rest it in my offhand on top of a folded up guncase and fire away. But at lest I have fun;-)

I hope you find a solution to getting your rest firmed up and you on target better. There's nothing more frustrating than not being on target like you want.

Wade

hornady
06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I have the Shooters ridge steady point. My only complaint was when I filled the bag with shot, kind of a PITA. But for the money great rest. Sturdy with fine adjustments for elevation and wind age.

I looked at the Lead sleds; I do most of my shooting solo. And the Shooters ridge is lighter and with the turn of a locking knob, the rest folds flat for easy carrying or storage.
With sand bags on the bottom tray, recoil on my 338 and 3006 are very acceptable.
I bought mine a few years back from Mid south shooters, it was just under $100.00 at that time.