PDA

View Full Version : sights

25/06
05-13-2011, 12:04 AM
was wandering what peoples opinion on one hole rear sights on pistols was?

runfiverun
05-13-2011, 03:16 AM
i have tried one pistol with them. [ a friends]
i don't know about accurate but they are pretty fast at target acquisition.

versifier
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
What makes a peep or aperture sight so effective is that the hole is very close to the eye so that the image is naturally centered in it without having to consciously focus on it. All you need to focus on are the target and the front sight. You keep both eyes open and so do not lose your depth perception. They are the fastest sights to get onto a live target you can find. A red dot comes close, but still can't beat them, especially in low light situations. Here's a link to check out: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/GeneralReference/PeepSightsForHuntingRifles.pdf

Putting it out at arm's length really defeats the whole purpose of it. Experiments of mine mounting them on rifles in place of barrel mounted rear buckhorn sights have shown them to be still usable, but much slower and creating the same problem of trying to focus back and forth between target, front sight, and rear sight that one must surmount with regular open sights. Putting one on a handgun at even greater distance from the eye only makes things more difficult, so for hunting applications I think they would be pretty much useless.

Bear in mind that I use them for hunting rifles and for working up loads for those rifles, not for precision target shooting, though they are still the sights of choice for competition, too, albeit in much fancier forms and paired with equally fancy front sights.

When punching paper, speed of target acquisition is pretty much irrelevant, so it might be worth taking the time to do some experimenting, especially when paired with a target style globe front sight. I can think of no reason why they wouldn't work, but I just don't know how well. I'm not too old to learn a few new tricks, so if you do some experimenting, please post your results as I think quite a few of us here would find it quite interesting.

25/06
05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
thank you guys and will let you know how they work out.