PDA

View Full Version : 200 grain boolits in a '06

22to45
03-25-2011, 03:25 AM
I have cast up some bullets and am wondering if any of you load for these with 3031, I have a good selection of slower rifle powders, but no pistol or faster powders. I am looking at loading in the range of 2000 fps.

303tom
03-25-2011, 04:22 AM
I would not use 3031 for a bullet that heavy .

versifier
03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome to The Guide, 22to45.

For a cast bullet, sure, go for it. Start at around 38.0 grains and work up a grain at a time, watching for leading in the bore, until the groups tighten up. I wouldn't bother going above 43.0 (Jacketed START) unless you're using a really hard alloy. 3031 is an excellent powder for reduced cast loads in any medium capacity case. I've used it in .30-30, .308, and .30-06 with bullets from 120-200gr. It may not be your rifle's favorite powder for that bullet, but it often is with others. As to the velocity you'll get, that's a matter of the rifle, the alloy, and the diameter of your bullet. You get what you get. Your node of accuracy could come anywhere between 1500-2000 for that bullet, and I would suspect it will likely be 1600-1700fps, but every rifle is different.

The harder it is (as long as it is sized correctly) the faster you can push it, but if you go any harder than WW's, you'll get no expansion, so there's always a tradeoff. RN bullets do not perform as well on game as FN's, the wider the meplat, the better for optimal energy transfer.

If you haven't slugged your bore yet, you should before choosing your sizer. Measure the slug with a mic, not a caliper, or it's a waste of time. (There is enough variation in bore/groove diameters of commercial barrels to make it worthwhile - trial and error just uses up too much powder, primers, and GC's. You want your bullets sized between .002-.003" larger than your groove diameter.) If all you have is a .308 sizer, stop and don't bother to continue until you have some larger options or you'll be scrubbing lead out of your bore. 8)

IMR4895 is another really good powder for reduced cast loads, too, as are 4064 and RL15. Between those four you ought to be able to come up with a good hunting load. Pistol powders are great for plinking loads and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook has tons of -06 data, as does the Lee manual. DO NOT REDUCE LOADS WITH BALL POWDERS. EVER. Let us know how you make out.