PDA

View Full Version : Should I get rid of this Walther PPK?

patti
03-17-2011, 05:19 AM
I have 4 pistols in .380 caliber, and and getting ready to start serious load development for each of them. Today, we slugged the barrels, and everything was going along smoothly until we did the Walther PPK.

The muzzle slugs measure larger diameter than the chamber slugs! Chamber around .354 and muzzle around .352! That's upside down! I'm thinking this PPK is a a good candidate to just send on down the line for folks who simply buy jacketed ammo, rather than spend any time trying to work up a load on something that looks inherently inaccurate. Am I thinking straight on this?

versifier
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I tend to agree. I load for two of the little buggers, and I have the telltale "Walther Scars" - two parellel lines on the large knuckles of each thumb - from getting bitten by the slides as my hands have slipped up under recoil. As carry guns I have no issues with them, but they're not much fun to shoot and having other choices, I carry a revolver. Their owners are happy with them, but only shoot them once a year or so. If you have other choices, I would say keep the ones that make you happy. Prices on the little .380's remain very high, and now factory ammo for them is almost common again, so you shouldn't have much trioble finding a home for one and depending when you bought it, you will likely make a few bucks on the sale.

patti
03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks, versifier.

"Walther Scars", eh? Think I'll pass! I have two Sig P230's that are fun to shoot, and don't bite me. They're almost identical in size to the Walther, so a little heavy for deep conceal, but they're sure fine guns!