PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 range day today!

school of mines
03-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Had a day off and the temperature was 50 degrees with a slight South wind so off to the range I went! Finally! I thought winter would never end. Anyway took my H&R buffalo classic and my T/C Encore, both 45-70s. I had made trial loads with cast bullets and Varget, Trail Boss, and 5744. After I got my Encore zeroed with the new scope I put on it this winter, the tests began. No one powder gave me better groups than the other. However, the Trail Boss loads were much easier on the shoulder! I put 85 rounds of 45-70 downrange and I do believe my shoulder will be bruised! Anyway had a great time, got some preliminary data for some loads and didn't have to go to work! Awesome day![smilie=w:

Old Ranger
03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
school of mines,

Glad you had a good day at the range! You mentioned using Trail Boss in your weapons. That is just about all I load in my 45-70 anymore. I've settled upon one load that is a keeper and stick with it for target and hunting.
You notice any metering problems with TB? Had to make me a scoop as my old Ideal #55 won't meter this powder well as it bridges a bunch.

Wade

303tom
03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
school of mines,

I am not trying too steel your thunder , but 85 rds. made your shoulder hurt , try 85 rds. from this !
You talk about sore arms , 3 cyc. & my wrists & forearms are wore out , & that`s just 15 rds.http://reloaders.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_33484d7f8980d4889.jpg (http://reloaders.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=17)

school of mines
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Old Ranger - Trail Boss is a little tricky to meter but I've been using it in my RCBS powder thrower and stay pretty consistent. I do weigh every charge though and use a trickler to top it off. I believe that a lighter bullet with TB is the way to go with my TC Encore carbine. I still haven't decided on which weight of bullet I'm going to settle on for my Buffalo Classic.

303tom- I want no part of that hog-leg! Holy Cow that just looks painful!

303tom
03-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Yes it is & so is this one !http://reloaders.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_33484d7fa6c684689.jpg (http://reloaders.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=18)

kodiak1
03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
303tom
If they arn't enjoyable to shoot why have them?
You know what the story is about the guys with big cannons for guns!

None of my buisness what you have or do just can't figure why a fella wants to beat his self up doing something that is so much fun and enjoyable.

You see those Utube videos of arsepipes giving someone who has never shot a handgun a 500SW and they get hit in the head by the recoil I don't see any fun or funny in that!
I always wonder if we lost another person that would have stayed shooting if they had been showed proper and not hurt.
I also wonder what if that person squeezes off another one when they are not in control of the firearm what may happen to people around them. Plain scarry to me.

Ken.

303tom
03-16-2011, 03:39 AM
They are great fun to shoot , just not shoot alot , & I would never do that too any body ! If I hand you one of those I will tell you it is going to jump like a big dog , if you don`t think you can handle it , give it back ! I too think it`s dumb to see someone do that !

kodiak1
03-17-2011, 12:38 AM
303tom
That makes perfect sense to me.
I have 44 Mags, 45 LC. 357 Mags and when my wife and I go shoot heck we will pump a couple hundred rounds out..........pure fun and enjoyment!!!!
The 375 H&H and 358 Norma get taken out but I am usually the only one that takes them to the range and it is usually when I feel like a little bit of a rough work out.

Thanks ken.

Pegasus1
03-23-2011, 05:24 PM
The other thing to do with those big hog-legs is to load them up with minimal loads where they are more fun to shoot. I load up some lighter loads for my 45-70 and blast water jugs. It is fun to watch the reaction of the impact on the containers filled with water.

BigOtto
05-01-2011, 05:39 AM
The trick is to relax and just kinda roll with them. keep it snug but roll with it.

GH1
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Kodiak,
I've seen those videos as well. It's usually some clown trying to play a joke on his girlfriend, or perhaps show her how much of a "man" he is. It's stupid, all it does is turn off forever a possible participant in our sport.
I liken it to the guy on the motorcycle that gets his jollies by scaring a first time passenger. Stupid.
On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you had some fun with your .45-70. I'm hoping to pick one up by the end of the year.
GH1