PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Overpressure

patti
03-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Okay, gents, I'm ready to start some serious testing on .380 loads. I have the powders selected, the range of loads in place, and the bullet chosen. All my reading on these forums cautions to "start low, and move up slow" regarding the charges, and to watch carefully for signs of overpressure. Hence, my question:

What, EXACTLY, are we to be watching for?

One guys says to watch for flattening on the primers, another says that flattening of the primers can be caused by things other than too much powder. I'm not in a hurry, I'm going to move carefully, but I'm not sure I understand just what I'm supposed to be watching for. Is it perceived recoil as well as flattened primers? Is it black marks on the outside of necks of fired cases?

Any clarification would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Patti:confused:

fryboy
03-14-2011, 03:58 AM
i can understand the need for clarification - especially on pistols such as this and i wish there was a easy answer for you , were it a rifle it would be easier honestly , the primers may or may not show pressure , on pistols it can vary , and a lil flattening isnt always bad but a serious flatter than a fritter that looks like a top hat when deprimed is a problem for sure , on rifles and some pistols case head expansion is another good indicator but some pistols ( such as a blow back design such as the 380 ) will bulge the case more than a locked breech pistol would , the blow back design also negates the "blackened case " to an extent as well because the pressure is blowing past it in semi auto mode ( after all that's how they work ) it's much safer to follow a recipe in something of this nature and let the percived results be the guide - this includes accuracy and recoil , if accuracy is out the window and you've reachec max charge weight without having any good groups it's time to try another combo be it powder and/or bullet , if recoil seems much harder then again yes'm the chances of it getting to warm/hot is a strong possibility , if you can find a load that gives decent recoil and accuracy and the cases arent ballooned nor is the primers flatter than a fritter i'd say you more than likely hit a winner ermm add functioning of the action to that because that's one of my main criterias , usually on this ( and the 32 acp ) i start at the start charge and work my way up until i get the functioning as well as accuracy , if my cases look good ( both primers and bulge ) i'll call it swell until i can check it on a chrony , if i hit max and havent achieved accuracy or function i'll try a different combo , if at anytime it seems that something is abnormal i'll stop and investigate , sadly with these little pistols i use factory ammo for a baseline ( hope that this didnt further add to your confusion )

patti
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Hey, that's helpful, fryboy. That's good, understandable info. It makes sense, and seems like sensible advice (if I made use that word twice in the same sentence)! LOL

thanks!

GH1
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
It's good to hear from another .380 loader, I load for my Bersa and my wife's Kel-Tec. I use 98 gr cast RNFP on top of 3 gr of AA#2 with CCI primers.
I haven't chrony'd the loads yet, maybe I'll get a chance this weekend.
What powders and bullets are you thinking of using?
GH1