PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 flex tip primer issues?

retired PO
03-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Loaded 10 new brass, new primers, with 165 cast, 15grs 2400......
shot fine (all aspects)

Loaded 10 flexible tip165 , new brass, new primers, 15 grs 2400.
pimer was hit, not quite as hard, but seemed sufficient,... no go.....
a few fired on second or third try, but most a no go....
any thoughts.

runfiverun
03-10-2011, 12:04 AM
you didn't seat the primers fully on the second ones.

retired PO
03-10-2011, 12:34 AM
if they wernt seated fully, wouldnt there be a deeper hit from the firing pin????

versifier
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Not necessarily. What tool are you seating them with?

fryboy
03-10-2011, 05:14 AM
you didnt state what action and sometimes it does matter ( a contender for example if not sized correctly can fail to lock and fire ) given that other than the t/c most other firearms for this headspace off the rim , a dead hit that then often fires the next time or two the hammer is dropped is usually because as five stated the primer wasnt fully seated , conversely if the primer was set too deep ( deep enough to crack the priming pellet ) usually then it wouldnt go off on the second hammer drop ( usually )

retired PO
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
lever action.
using a RCBS hand held
dont seem to have an issue with anyother gun. rifle, pistol, auto or bolt
auto pistol or wheel gun... just this one.

fryboy
03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
have you layed a straight edge across the top when done seating and made sure that they were below flush ? and if it is "just that gun" perhaps there is a problem with that gun ? a weak mainspring etc could cause it especially if combined with harder primer cups , some state that federal regulars are about the softest but i have no proof of this and would expect possibly the "arsenal types" and mags to perhaps have a thicker cup

runfiverun
03-11-2011, 12:57 AM
a while back i had some magtech primers not go off for me. odd i thought.
went home and pulled the two rounds.
ran them through with the rest of the brass and next time out i had two more misfires.
with winchester primers this time.
turned out i had two primer pockets that were too deep.
thing is, is that they fired when new factory rounds.

retired PO
03-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Mystery may be solved. Took it to a gunsmith, he thinks that i may of resided the brass down too much, and had some movement,... wont know till I get it back. the gun had someother issues and we are waiting for parts.... as usual you guys were right......