PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Reload!

school of mines
01-17-2011, 03:32 AM
I bought a box of primed 45-70 brass at a gun show awhile back. I got the box out this weekend and noticed one of the rounds was loaded. No big deal, I just pulled the bullet. To my surprise, there was no powder in the case! I am sure glad I pulled the bullet and did not tried to fire it! I have a hard time using some one else's reloads. I just as soon pull the bullets and start over with my own loads.

kodiak1
01-18-2011, 11:02 PM
school of mines.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Either he forgot what he was doing when it come time to measure powder or just grabbed a ready brass to make himself a dummy round for setting up his press next time. I like to leave the primer out of my set up rounds that way I can always find them in a crowd.

Ken.

noylj
01-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Was there even a primer in the case?
Set-up "dummy" rounds should always be unprimed and powderless.
Set-up "dummy" rounds are extremely valuable and ever reloader should have one for each cartridge and bullet they have reloaded.

geargnasher
01-28-2011, 03:13 AM
I make a half-dozen "dummies" for every repeater I have and prove the action out with them before loading any for real, but I never put primers in them. The first time you go to the range and have to disassemble your gun to get an unfired cartridge out because you forgot to see if it would clear the ejection port with the bullet still in it you will get religious about dummy rounds.

Gear

Perkbilt
02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
all my dummies are without primers and i drill a 1/8th" hole through the case about midway to make them really easy to spot