PDA

View Full Version : Loading .223 with cast 55Gr Gas Checked Bullets

340six
12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
To start off with I have quite a few loads in the books.
But I normally load with WW748 for FMJ's
The loads the books have for cast sure have a wide span of powders you can use.
Is there any reason not to use the loads that are for red dot etc. that are normally pistal/shot gun use?
They are tested by the companies that write the books {lyman to name one} but wonder if they will be dirty/smoke plenty
{ie} anyone use a non traditional powders in small rifle

firefly 1957
12-03-2010, 03:48 AM
I have not put a cast bullet in my 223 but do swage my own bullet using 22 rimfire cases and as a experiment I tried making some jackets with used musket caps. These are not heavy(jacket) enough to stand full velocity and I load them with SR-4759 (NOT SHOTGUN SR-4756) they shoot well and clean. I see no reason you can not use red dot here is a link to some people across the pond that post their data. http://www.accuratereloading.com/223rem.html .

versifier
12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Stick to the loads in the Lyman CBH for now.

There are formulas to reduce jacketed loads using extruded and flake powders, but DO NOT be tempted to reduce spherical powder loads, and don't even think about using even mild jacketed loads as you will turn your barrel into a lead mine.

The harder your alloy the better for small caliber cast bullets, but the most critical factor is to correctly size your cast bullets. SLUG your barrel. I don't care what they TELL you your bore and groove diameters are, there can be several thousandths variation even in very well made barrels from one to the next. Size .001-.002 over your measured groove diameter.

There is no reason why you can't be loading to 2000fps, or even up to as much as 2500 if everything is correctly sized and you use a good lube. I have run them in my .22-250 up to 2600 without leading, but in that rifle the best accuracy comes just under 2000. You'll have to experiment a bit to see which powders and lubes your rifle likes best. I have used LLA for tumble lube and also Speed Green (Bullshop) and Rooster Red for conventional lubes with no complaints.

340six
12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I was going to stick to the load info in the lyman for now and also try some in the winchester book as i have a whole can of IMR4350 and they have load for that.