PDA

View Full Version : W.S. Vickerman Reloading Tool

Ouisconsin
08-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I bought a box of reloading dies and in sorting through it found a strange tool with a cutout that appears to be a seating die of some sort. It has 2 2 stamped above the cut out area and the channel measures 0.22. It's much longer than any 'standard' dies I've seen. I tried looking at the Vickerman site but it's down.

I put a .224 bullet in it and it fits snugly. I was surprised when I tried to push the bullet up and the whole internal assembly slid into the upper housing. OK. That pretty much confirms the seating die theory. Can I use this for loading 223? I assume I would have to adjust to get the proper seating.

Has anyone ever used one of these? Better yet, any tips on how to use it?

I'm new to reloading and to this site and it looks like a good place to get answers.

Thanks!

versifier
08-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Welcome to the Guide.

Go here to ask:

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Someone there is bound to have some information for you.

runfiverun
08-23-2010, 02:08 PM
ponsess warren makes a similar tool.
it has changeable inserts. and different sized tips.
what you do is exactly like you think.
drop the bullet in the window as straight as you can. and the case comes up from the bottom.
and pushes the slider up till the bullet hits the tip [stem in the top]
and it seats the bullet.
they are called an inline seater, it saves you from having to hold the bullet straight with your fingers.
they work pretty good, i have the ponsess version with a couple of different inserts and tips, and use it frequently.
the vickerman company has been out of business for quite some time now.