PDA

View Full Version : annealing pistol cases

casullman
08-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I have some starline and some hornady brass in 454 casull they have been cycled twice now and no issues but I amm thinking I want to anneal them Is this a good idea?? anybody know?? just a side note: I tip my hat to those of you who opened my eyes to the world of annealing brass wow what a difference it makes especially when you load uncommon and expensive cartridges that I do

versifier
08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I have heard of loaders annealing revolver cases to minimize neck splits from repeated heavy crimping. If I had to buy the cases I might be much more inclined to do it too, but I don't shoot anything bigger than .38/.357 anymore and I get all the brass I could ever want for them free from the bucket at our range.

It makes a lot of sense if you shoot the big boomers as the brass for them is hard to come by and expensive when you can find it. They need heavy crimps to keep the unfired bullets in their cases under recoil, so it stands to reason that those cases would work harden faster than .38's. How often it would need to be done is another question, one I assume only experience would answer.

Some anneal rifle cases after every firing, but I think that's a bit excessive. I only do it for hard to find cartridges in older milsurps before every other FL sizing (with as many loadings/neck sizings as I can get away with in between).

paul edward
08-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Many years ago I began annealing the necks of 44 Magnum cases after they started to crack from repeated belling and crimping. The split brass was not a total loss, as I trimmed it back to use as 44 Special.

You should be able to get several loads before needing to re-anneal your cases.

Paul

casullman
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
thanks for the insight guys I am sold on annealing even in my 454