PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Jacketed to lead. Need help, please.

Keiger
05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Running a Kimber 45 have been loading the 230 gr. TMJ with Bullseye at 4.9 gr. and OAL of 1.275.
Problem is I have the Lyman 48th edition and there is no data on the cast bullet.
Have a box of Lazer Cast 230gr. RN

With the cast bullet will I need to mess with the OAL?

If I can use the Bullseye will I need to mess with the powder levels to get the action to work right with the cast bullet?

Why with the different bullets weights does the OAL change?

Do I need to buy a new book for the load data?
Thanks Keig

versifier
05-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is the loading manual you're looking for, Lee's Modern Reloading Manual has a lot of cast data, too. If you're going to start shooting cast, you'll need the data handy, so at least get yourself a copy of the Lyman book if not both.

With a low pressure round like the .45ACP, cast and jacketed data is pretty much interchangable. You can start with data for a slightly heavier jacketed bullet if the weight of the cast bullet you want to use doesn't match anything you have listed data for. The weight of a bullet from any mould depends on the alloy used - the greater percentage of lead in the mix, the heavier it will be.

You may not be able to shoot a cast bullet in as hot a load as you would a jacketed bullet, but that is a function of of a potential bullet's size/hardness/lube. For optimal obturation of the bullet to the barrel's rifling, a cast bullet needs to be .002-.003" larger than the accepted diameter of a jacketed bullet for the same barrel. When the size is correct, the choice of bullet alloy becomes less an issue and you can vary the hardness to suit its intended purpose. In general with handgun bullets, a softer alloy always obturates better and give better accuracy. Some pistols are very particular in what they will feed. Due to varying feed ramp angles and degree of finish on their surfaces, some pistols will not feed certain shaped bullets like semiwadcutters (SWC's) reliably. (Some will not feed certain jacketed bullets either.) A round nosed bullet will generally feed better and give you fewer problems in a variety of pistol designs. Just like with jacketed, you'll probably have to try several different cast bullet designs to find your 1911's favorite.

If it has roughly the same shape as the jacketed and it feeds correctly then use the same OAL while you are testing. You will have to try some yourself and see if it likes them or if you want to shorten or lenghten them. For instance, my Kimber likes 230gr RN and RNHP bullets best (Lee 452-228-1R, .453", alloy 4 parts pure lead to 1 part WW's, tumble lube) and shoots them as accurately as FMJ's with no feeding or fouling issues. The longer you can make it without impeding function, the lower the chamber pressure, so I would also be experimenting in that direction after you have finished working up the powder charge.

As to the powder charge, you will have to work the loads up from minimum 4gr BEYE to the 5gr max. Any time you change a component, you want to start over from the beginning, and where you have only 1gr of loading leeway between START and MAX, it only makes sense from a safety standpoint to drop the charge and work back up. I think it will be more than enough to cycle the pistol at 4gr, then you can increase the charge to see if the groups tighten up a bit or not. I don't like to run hotter loads in any pistol, and I prefer a powder that gives me a greater range of velocities to look for nodes of accuracy. But BEYE is one of the oldest and most trusted powders for the .45ACP and there's a good reason for that reputation, too. Up here we say "If it works, don't fix it."

Personally, with the fixed sights on many carry pieces, for practice loads, as long as they function and will all stay on the paper I'm not super particular. If I get a good deal on a bunch of surplus powder, I will try to use it for practice in many different cartridges. I still want carry ammo as accurate as possible and to hit POI. Sometimes that means a different load than what I practice with.

Don't expect miracles with your chosen bullet, but do let us know what your pistol thinks of them. If you get a chance, mic a few for their diameters and post it. Commercial offerings are usually too hard, often undersized (i.e. the same size as a jacketed bullet), and the hard lubes used on them can limit their usefulness and their accuracy. Commercial casters have been slow to realize this and prefer to use harder alloys and hard lubes as they ship and handle better, but that is no excuse for undersized bullets. A hard undersized bullet does not obturate well and its accuracy and performance can be compromised by gas cutting and stripping and poor stabilization in flight. Some commercial casters have gotten the message, though, so it wouldn't hurt to try bullets from several different companies if you need to.

When you find a good combination and get to loading and shooting a lot of them, I predict you will soon realize how much cheaper and better it would be to cast your own to get exactly what you want and prefer to use. Be careful, it's habit forming. ;) [smilie=l: Don't hesitate to ask for mould and casting advice, tools and techniques.

Keiger
05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
versifier, thanks for all the handy info. Not sure if I want to get into casting, I just don't need another hobby :lol:
Someone pointed out to me that my 48th edtion has the 230gr. data its just in the form of the 225gr. (without lube). I will get the lyman data book you suggested.
What other cast bullets are there from manufactures? I bought the Lazer cast years ago, and forgot I had them.

versifier
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't pay too much attention to what's on the market currently as I do all my own casting for handgun and rifle bullets. I am sure other members will tell you what companies they have had good luck with and those to avoid. A quick tour of Midway, Graffs, and Midsouth turns up quite a few potential sources.

Dakbroadbent
05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
I get 200 gr LSWC fron Chey Bullets for $90.00/1000. Free shipping for orders over $100.

http://www.cheycast.com/

I have no complaints with them. I load with 5.0 gr Win 231 for about 800 fps.

Pleasant to shoot and reliably cycle my 1911's with 16 # recoil springs.

Check the Hodgdens website for the latest loading data for 231...they manufacture 231 now.