PDA

View Full Version : 22-250 Hornady FL die ISSUES!

casullman
05-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a lot of Nosler brass I neck sized several times (5,6,7,maybe 8) some of them were getting tight some I opted to FL size the lot and now they are .005-6 too long fortunately for me Ionly loaded a few before I realized closing the bolt required the strength of a silverback Nosler brass is high qua;ity and pricey I would not want to scrap the lot:?:[smilie=b::?:

runfiverun
05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
time to trim.
you should also look at annealing at this point.

casullman
05-03-2010, 02:52 AM
I should learn to proof read my posts. To clarify .005-6 too long at the shoulder datum, not total brass length

versifier
05-03-2010, 03:57 AM
You are saying the base to shoulder length is too great? I am assuming you decided to FL size because you were beginning to have difficulty chambering and your sizing problem made it dramatically worse, so I am also assuming that you cannot chamber one of the unloaded cases either. The shoulders are clearly not being set back far enough. There are three possibilities that come to mind:

One, your die is incorrectly adjusted. Normally, a FL sizer is screwed down until it touches the shell holder when the ram is raised, then with the ram lowered it is given an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn depending on the brand so that the operating lever cams over at the top of the stroke. (I assume you already know this, and likely have already made sure, but it is the first possible cause to eliminate.)

Two, your die is defective (the reamer was run into it too far or it was not cut to the proper length). I think this is the most likely possibility if you have eliminated #1.

Three, your shell holder is defective (too thick top, incorrectly indexed when machined).

Usually shell holders made by different companies are close enough to be interchangable, but even so you should use the same one each time. This can be done either by keeping one in each die box or by having a set of each size specifically dedicated to the press. I keep a set and have just one that I use in my press for all the Mauser-based case heads, one for .223 sized heads, one for the .30-30's, and one for .38/.357's, etc, (and a bag full of extras in all sizes that came with various Lee die sets and in trades over the years).

BTW, r5r is right about annealing your cases - it will increase their life dramatically.

Just to be sure I understand correctly, Hornady die(s) and shell holder and what type of neck sizer (conventional, collet, or bushing) have you been using?

casullman
05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
I am using HDY dies, shell holders and a # 007 manual press. I am currently using HDY conv. NS dies in .22 and .284. The #1 shell holder is only used for 22-250 and 30-06 and come to think of it I have had a few -06's give me "feeding issues" in my BAR. I might purchase another shell holder (Hornady couldn't have made two bad dies that I happened to buy or uhm, er, could they?) I will ask my NS die and annealing ?'s elswhere thank you.