PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for Buck?

konrad
04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
So here are my next questions:

A: Which bolt action rifle offers the “Best Bang for the Buck”?

I would sacrifice money before accuracy.
The preferred chambering will be in 7mm Remington Magnum.
Projected maximum range (to be used on elk/mule deer) 500 yards with an eye on maintaining a maximum six inch group.

B: Is it realistic to believe a less expensive platform will provide this type of accuracy?

versifier
04-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Honestly, I think that Savage is about the most accurate production rifle for the money today. They are consistantly very accurate, their AccuTriggers are fantastic and easily adjustable, the barrels are easily changable, and the bedding system in the stocks is better than many custom jobs. With the magnum bolt face, you don't have as many options for other barrels as you would with the standard Mauser head size (the -06 and .308 families are all derived from it), but if you are just interested in setting up a long range big game rifle it's not really an issue. The biggest question is if the factory stock will fit you properly or if you will have to replace it.

runfiverun
04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
marlin is no slouch in a less expensive rifle either.
for my money the ruger hawkeye at around 600 does everything i need.
but i have heard no bad about either the savage or the marlin.
the weatherby vanguard in 7 mag is a very good rifle too.
my friend shoots one and with ammo it likes it is very accurate.

wistlepig1
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree, one of the most accurate box gun on the market today and the price is good to. IMHO.

Honestly, I think that Savage is about the most accurate production rifle for the money today. They are consistantly very accurate, their AccuTriggers are fantastic and easily adjustable, the barrels are easily changable, and the bedding system in the stocks is better than many custom jobs. With the magnum bolt face, you don't have as many options for other barrels as you would with the standard Mauser head size (the -06 and .308 families are all derived from it), but if you are just interested in setting up a long range big game rifle it's not really an issue. The biggest question is if the factory stock will fit you properly or if you will have to replace it.

j1
03-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Why did early marine snipers use Remington model 700 rifles for sniper rifles then? Price was unimportant to them as it should be to you.

Come on let's get a lively discussion going here. Is v correct? Maybe. Do I like my old mod 700? You bet.