PDA

View Full Version : Case neck run out problem!

eddie56
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I got a batch of once fired Win. 30+30 brass.When I checked them they had .010 neck runout.After sizeing in a new set of LEE RGB dies they were the same.I tried turning the case 180 in the sizing die and it didn't help.I loaded 12 and when I fired them runout is now .002,But when I resize it jumps to .005.Could it be I need to turn the case necks?What else could it be?Bad set of dies?My other LEE dies give me about .002 runout and I feel that is real good.thanks in advance for any help.I forgot to mention I also pulled out the expander ball and it was the same results.Thanks again.

versifier
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
My $.02 is that it is your dies. The real question is does it effect accuracy enough to matter? With a .30-30, I really doubt it would unless you are target shooting at 200yds or beyond.
No, you shoud not turn your case necks. With a standard chamber it usually does more harm than good as the neck expands more on firing and returning it works the brass even more. Only very tight chambers can benefit from it, unless the brass was formed incorrectly, which does happen occasionally.

eddie56
03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Well I don't really do any serious shooting anyway.I am a security guard at a C and D landfill.I spend most of my day and night here.So I do reloading and shooting while I'm here.most of my targets are stuck to 55 gallon drums at whatever distance.So I guess I won't worry about it that much.However I did notice my lock ring was a good bit of my problem.I am trying a Lyman 173 grn. for the first time in a Marlin 336 and I do want to see what it will do.So I am going to do the best reloading I can.thanks I feel better about it now.

runfiverun
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
sometimes not locking down your sizer will let it "float" and find it's center.
this helps in seating too.
you noticed after firning that your case run out was less this is explained by the brass being pushed out against the walls of your rifle and all the inconsistencies are now on the inside.
when you size the case being drug over the expanding ball pushes the brass wall thickness variations to the outside of the case where you can measure them.
you are seeing this as runout.
if your rifle is ironing them out when firing that shows a pretty good chamber.

highshooter
03-24-2010, 01:07 AM
My Dad had the same problem, called RCBS they sent a new die and problem solved. Back down to around .002 runout.