PDA

View Full Version : international clays and 230 gr. boolit

acemedic13
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I am looking to load 5.6 gr. international clays into some 230 gr cast boolits. for the 45 acp. The load data on the can says that is a good load for 200 gr.

However I cannot find any data on that powder with a cast 230 or any 230 for that matter. I was wondering if I should back off the load a bit or not. Anybody use this combo? If so, please feel free to chime in. If anybody has some actual data on it, that would be great as well.

I looked on the site and did not find much there either. Thanks in advance. Joel.....

versifier
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I can find no listings in any of my four manuals for International Clays in any .45ACP loading. From this I conclude that it is not the best powder choice. If you can find no data at Hodgdon's website (if anyone has data, they would, and it makes no difference with a handgun if it is for a cast or a jacketed bullet, the weight is what is important) then I would be looking at something more appropriate, like Bullseye, AA#5, or Unique for instance. Under no circumstances would I consider using data for a bullet 30gr lighter - it is simply not safe without much more information about the powder than what is available to me. (You may be able to find safe data, I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that I can't find any in the manuals I have handy.)

acemedic13
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking. I will go with it in 38's and 200 gr. 45's. Thanks for the post.

runfiverun
12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
international clays was never intended to be used as a handgun powder however hodgdons has put out some data recently for it's use but mainly for reduced cowboy type loads.
the original powder was very inconsistent in flake size and was used by volumn more than weight.