PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

soupy7
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I have plenty of Unique powder and 9mm Remington 124 gr. JHP also Federal brass -- I'm looking at loading this setup with 5.6 grains (which is a compressed load).
I have two manuals one saying max out at 5.8 and the other (much older) saying 6.2 max load!? Since I'm trying to get a 'safe, but lethal' load would any one have opinions on this load -- safe, lethal? Ideas? Thanks.

clubkey
11-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey Soupy,

Are you going to work up to this load in gradual increments or are you going to just jump right in from scratch and load a compressed load? I suggest and certainly every manual I have read and every reloader I know would tell you to work up to your load from a 10% reduced powder charge...

versifier
11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Do not use older data. Most of it was worked up before we could accurately measure pressure.

ALWAYS start at minimum loads and work up in steps. NEVER just choose a random load and go with it, even if it is recommended to you. There are NO SAFE EXCEPTIONS to this rule. Not every gun (including brand new state-of-the-art ones) can handle MAX loads, and semi autos generally function better and wear less with mid-range loads. Natural selection has a way of taking care of people who start with MAX loads without carefully working them up, and we'd rather you didn't end up with a Darwin Award.

Sierra lists a starting load of 4.1gr of Unique for a 125gr bullet and a MAX of 5.6. (I'd work up in .5gr increments.)

Lethality is dependent on accuracy, and hotter loads are usually not the most accurate, though every pistol is different and you might find it works out that way with yours (after you work it up). Someone else's pet load isn't going to help you in your quest, you have to do the actual experiments and shoot a lot of groups to find out what your pistol likes best. A few fps of velocity isn't going to make a lot of difference, but your ability to hit center of mass will. Even a minimum load out of a 9mm is faster than most .38spec loads, and they have been reliably lethal for more than a century.

soupy7
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys -- both of you are right, I'm starting at min. loads and working up.
It was a case of someone elses info, but again your right on about getting the best combo out of your (my) gun by working it up one step at a time.
I've often said "what a stupid thing to do' when seeing a gun blown up -- so, I will not be amoung that group!

clubkey
11-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the reply Soupy cause you had me worried there for a while, but I feel much better now. [smilie=w:

Bullshop Junior
11-11-2009, 04:36 AM
I would not use Unique in the 9mm. There are much better choices of powder.

Guesser
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm with Bullshop!!! Unique will work, but there are better, more modern, cleaner powders available. Look to Ramshot and Accurate for really good modern loads. I use AA#2 for most of my 9MM loads, but I must tell you that 9MM is one of my least favorite rounds. But, It works!!!!!!