PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Roberts

medman
10-23-2009, 02:39 AM
I aquired a set of RCBS dies at a yard sale. Each Die is wraped in brown waxy paper and in a carboard box that is simply stamped on the side "6.5 Roberts", 1 is "Seater" the other obviously, "Sizer". My question is this, is this 6.5 Roberts Improved or 257 Roberts? I don't have a need for them but don't want to misrepresent them.

versifier
10-23-2009, 01:38 PM
If the stamp on the tops of the dies are the same as what is on the box, you have a custom set of 6.5 Roberts (the .257 necked up to 6.5mm). If they were the "improved" version with the slightly larger case, that's what they would have been marked. If you go to RCBS website, you can see for yourself what they cost if they are one of the wildcats that they maintain specs for. If they are not listed there, then what you have is a truly custom set. Interesting cartridge, in the same ballpark as the 6.5 Swede. I'd list them over on Cast Boolits if you want to sell them.

runfiverun
10-24-2009, 04:32 PM
it's also known as a 6.5x57.
really not custom at all ,just sometimes special order.
iirc it was tried as a military cartridge at one time.
and was sold as a factory round in europe.

versifier
10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
That makes sense. With that to go on, I find it listed in COTW as 6.5-257 Roberts. I didn't bother to look before as I couldn't remember ever hearing about it. When Swede brass was next to impossible to find here after WWII, it made sense to rechamber rifles brought home from Europe to a round that was easily formed by one trip through the sizing die. Barnes wondered why no one made one based on the improved design, though, or the .284 for a significant ballistic advantage. (The 6.5-.284 is a reasonably popular wildcat today, long after Fred's death.) But, considering that in the north of Europe they use the 6.5 Swede for moose, maybe most don't think it worth bothering. I just built a custom Mauser on a Yugo action in 6.5x55 and I am more than a little impressed with that round. It says in COTW that the original 6.5x57 design was by Mauser in 1898. For someone into 6.5's it might be an interesting choice. I personally like to play with .30 wildcats, but I could see why it would be fun to try one to see what it would do.

medman
10-25-2009, 03:19 AM
stamp on die says 6.5 Roberts RCBS 66. I am assuming that 66 is the year it was made.

versifier
10-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Yes, RCBS always date stamps their dies. If it doesn't say IMP, it isn't.

Bullshop Junior
11-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Want to sell them?