PDA

View Full Version : Help with 44Mag rifle loads

ISME
07-26-2009, 12:48 AM
I am having difficulties finding a load with the bullet, powder, and barrel length. I am using 280gr. pfn Berry bullets- IMR 4227- and a 16inch barrel Puma Trapper M-92. I have found a load with Hogden 4227, but not with IMR also this load is listed for jhp. IMR4227, and Hogden 4227 are beside each other on the burn scales. Can I substitute IMR for Hogden and if so what powder charge to start. I got the 280grn. by mistake thought I was getting 240's I can still use them in my S&W 629 but would like to use the same loads in both. Thanks ISME

runfiverun
07-26-2009, 10:49 PM
imr data should be available at hodgdons website imr and hodgdons powders are not the same,and neither is their data.
keep those plated bullets below 1,000 fps for best results.
imr powder usually has quite a bit lower and ending loads than hodgdons does.

kg42
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
If you have a load for jacketed bullets of the same weight, you can start 10% below and work up.
Even when buying the same powder from the same maker you should be cautious as it probably comes from a different production lot.

4227 is quite a saga.
According to some people close to the industry, when Hodgdon bought IMR, they were shocked to see how much more of IMR's sold than their own...

So they took the logical decisions:
a) stop IMR's 4227 production,
b) stop selling H4227,
c) package and sell it under IMR's name (by the way it's made by ADI in Australia).....

So what you've got might be the "old" Hodgdon...

I saw a thread last week, on an other forum, saying that IMR's looked like their usual sticks/tubes, but that H4227 looked more like flakes(?)... What's yours like?

kg

ISME
07-27-2009, 10:56 PM
This is the stick/tube kind. It is some of the older IMR. I appreciate the info. As hard as it is to get components I'm trying to use what I have when possible. Of course when I can't It's another excuse to buy new stuff. I'm always looking for an excuse. The loading data I have found is for H4227 , I went to the Hornady data site and can't find any data for the IMR for a 280 grn bullet. The only powders I can find loads for are H4227, H110, and Titegroup.