PDA

View Full Version : under weight boolits

wvplinker
07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello, I have a newbie sort of question for you sages out there. I recently aquired some .44 cast boolits of the TL SWC variety I believe from the Lee molds for 240 grain. I can find a lot of info on loading 240 grain LSWC, but the actual weight of the boolits is 230 grains. I cannot find any load data for this type and weight of boolit. Is there a safe way to extrapolate the powder charge for the lighter boolit? Is there a linear or other mathematical relationship between mass of lead and charge of powder? Any suggestions?
Thanks

versifier
07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the Guide, wvplinker.

With handgun loads, you are safe loading a slightly lighter bullet (especially a cast bullet) using data for a slightly heavier one. (With only 10gr difference in the large bore, you can usually get away with a heavier cast bullet using data for a slightly lighter jacketed bullet, but I wouldn't push my luck too far up the charge table.) I would suggest you have a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook as it will have all kinds of data hard to find anywhere else. Lee's Modern Reloading also has a lot of cast data.

Generally, it is safe in rifles, too, as long as the cartridge doesn't operate at extremely high pressures and both bullets are similar in profile and amount of bearing surface.

Bullet makers have the most reliable loading data, but it is always for their jacketed bullets (which naturally they want to sell us). As you load and shoot more cast bullets, you will quickly get the experience to understand how jacketed data applies to cast bullets. The general rule is that weight for weight and with the same charge, the cast bullet will have a higher MV and a lower chamber pressure than its jacketed counterpart.

kg42
07-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Welcome aboard :)!

No worry with a lighter bullet, unless it takes lots more/less space in the case than a standard one.
I tried that design years ago and it was well within the norms; leading, however, was very bad...

About bullets vs powder maths, I've done it for greater ranges of bullet weights, when I was confident I had enough data to support it, with fast pistol powders.

In your case and caliber, one rule to remember is to never load cases below 90% of capacity with slow burning ball powders like H110 and W296, as erratic ignition could result (I had excessive pressures with such loads).

Did you weight these bullets yourself?
How does their diameter compare to chamber's mouths and bore?

kg

wvplinker
07-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome and quick response to my question!!

In response to your question I did weigh the bullets myself, they are sized to 0.429, which I checked with calipers. I am sorry to say I do not know the exact diameter of my chamber mouth and bore. I can tell you I will be pushing them out of a Super Redhawk. I will also seek a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I have the latest copy of their std reloading handbook.

runfiverun
07-26-2009, 10:46 PM
next time try to get those unsized i have a suspicion they will shoot better and not lead.

armyrat1970
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the Guide, wvplinker.

With handgun loads, you are safe loading a slightly lighter bullet (especially a cast bullet) using data for a slightly heavier one. (With only 10gr difference in the large bore, you can usually get away with a heavier cast bullet using data for a slightly lighter jacketed bullet, but I wouldn't push my luck too far up the charge table.) I would suggest you have a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook as it will have all kinds of data hard to find anywhere else. Lee's Modern Reloading also has a lot of cast data.

Generally, it is safe in rifles, too, as long as the cartridge doesn't operate at extremely high pressures and both bullets are similar in profile and amount of bearing surface.

Bullet makers have the most reliable loading data, but it is always for their jacketed bullets (which naturally they want to sell us). As you load and shoot more cast bullets, you will quickly get the experience to understand how jacketed data applies to cast bullets. The general rule is that weight for weight and with the same charge, the cast bullet will have a higher MV and a lower chamber pressure than its jacketed counterpart.

Another welcome and a +1 for the info from versifier.

JJB2
08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
i use the load data 158 gr. cast bullet in .357 mag and .38 spl loads all the time... the several thousand bullets i cast a few years are from a good old lyman 150 gr. swc mould... the # was .358477 i believe........ but i have gotten a little inventive and CAREFULLY used verious powder weight charges....... about all of my reloads are in the right velocity range with a SD of half the factory loads....

LIFE IS SHORT.....