PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye powder in 500 S&W

ssj@ms.metrocast.net
05-16-2009, 12:31 AM
How much for light loads?

runfiverun
05-16-2009, 02:34 AM
i couldn't even guess at this one.
i did see some 500 special loads somewhere that pushed a 450 or 500 gr boolit at 1300 fps.
not sure i would try bullseye,unique or 2400 maybe.
i might even do something like a case full of 4831 or 4895 even,but i doubt the combo of a big bullet and a big case would be a good fit for bullseye.

versifier
05-16-2009, 02:49 AM
What weight and kind of bullet?
My Lyman manual lists Unique for reduced target loads for cast and jacketed bullets from 275-500gr. All the other powders (AA#9, AA4100, N110, Enforcer, Lil'Gun, H110, and IMR4227) are for full charge loads.

ssj@ms.metrocast.net
05-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I just got my new TC pro hunter barrel in 500 S&W back from TC after complaining that it was shooting about 3 feet high at 100 yards with 3 different powder loads and bullet weights and the rear sight set to the lowest possible setting. They 'supposedly' changed the front sight and test fired it with Bullseye loads (330 grain bullet) and said it "met factory specs". I have been unable to find out exactly what Bullseye loads they used or just what the term "met factory specs" means. I can't even find out at what distance they tested it.

versifier
05-16-2009, 03:30 PM
After you have tried it with a factory load to see if they have done what they were supposed to, then you can figure out your options. Their service department has always been really good to me, going the extra mile to make me happy.

If the problem has not been fixed, try making a phone call, not an email. Call T/C on a weekday 9-3EST (603 332-2333) and ask to speak to someone in the service (not customer service) department. They just downsized big time and may not have anyone with a clue working phones or emails. Be patient, polite, and insistent until you get one of their gunsmiths on the line and explain your issue and questions to him.

For loads, go to the Alliant website and see what they have for BEYE loads. If no luck, email them for info. Sierra might help, too: 800 223-8799.

Finally, there is the fix it yourself option if all else fails. Unless it has one of those #@&%ing POS plastic sights on it, T/C front sights have their blades pinned in and are easily removable. You can replace the blade with a piece of steel or brass of the correct height (or taller, so it can be filed down until it's where you want it). Sights and parts can be had from Fox Ridge (T/C's custom shop) too, but IMO this should be dealt with by their service dept at no charge to you.

conservadude
05-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I use 11.0 grains of TiteGroup behind a 335gr Berry's Mfg bullet, Fed 210M primer, and get about 1050 fps out of my 4" S&W 500. This is an easy shooting round and what I use as a practice round. My bear rounds are 535gr Keith SWC's from Ranger Rick in Homer, Alaska. I load those with the same primer, but 31.5gr H110 and get about 1350 fps. These are the only two loads that I shoot. Note that Berry's no longer sells 50 caliber stuff though, so you have to go with a cast bullet or buy electroplated Rainier LeadSafe 335gr bullets to match my practice rounds. I prefer the Berry's, but I've put a couple thousand rounds of the Rainier's through the gun as well and they all load/shoot just fine. Rainier does recommend buying a taper crimp die for the crimp and has no cannelure on the bullet. The Berry's (no longer available, as mentioned) does have a cannelure and you can use a regular roll crimp on those. I use a profile crimp (combo taper and roll) on my heavy rounds and never get any bullet creep whatsoever. Yup, that's 3 crimping dies on my bench for this gun... but it's a special gun that requires attention to what you are doing due to it's high power capability. Actually, I have a 4th crimping die, but it's the standard seating/crimping die and I have it backed off so it applies no crimp and I use it only seating bullets since I seat and crimp the heavy loads in separate steps. Light loads are all seated and crimped in a single step. That's howee doit...

Brian

JustSomeGuy
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Though new to this forum I have been reloading for... lesee... um, about 43 years and would never have thought about using anything as quick as Titegroup OR Bullseye in as large a straight walled case as the S&W 500! To hear that S&W has duplicated a factory load with Bullseye defies logic. Though Titegroup is not very "position" or partial case sensitive as Bullseye, I would still think that it is way too fast for this application. One would think that detonation would be imminent using Bullseye in such a case. If you are contemplating using Bullseye for this purpose buy more insurance and kiss the wife before going to the range.