PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone AZ

454shooter
12-03-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi Y'all,
Well, we left Tuesday morning about 6:00-6:30 AM.
L.A. traffic that you hear about is true.Bumper-to-bumper. I really don't like this traffic.Just dealt with it.
Palm Springs, about 5:00 PM.
Was literally a 24 hour drive.Went back to what I learned while driving an 18 wheeler.No over night stuff. Took breaks often,drank lots of coffee,ate, and kept my eyes and head moving while driving.Truckin' through the night.
Nearly the same as going, but, avoided the L.A. traffic at night.Got back to Modesto at about 7:15 AM this morning.Very tired.So now, going to get some well deserved sleep.The Honda did real good.
The speed limit in Arizona in the open areas, is 75 MPH.Otherwise, 65.
Here's the trip:
Got into Tombstone, at about 4:00 AM.Didn't know if anyone was at the front desk or not. Slept 4 hours in the Honda.Got up, and registered.
Downtown:reinactors with some very nice Colts and clones.The real thing.
One that I talked to,shown me his real ammo from his belt.His Colt ? You would have loved to see it.Really good looking !
Just had to visit the gunsmith.The one, that I wanted to see, was closed everytime.Went down Fremont St to "Cactus Jack".This guy was nice,too.
Since,I can't find the real BP in Modesto,bought 5 lbs of American Pioneer
Powder.The change for a $100.00 bill? And old leather holster for my Colt Dragoon copy.Fits sort of good.
Here's the kicker;he told me,if I was to explore the backtrails, to "load up".
No, he wasn't kidding.Many illegals and smugglers from Mexico are causing a lot of serious problems.Check out "ranchrescue.com".Guns all over the place !
Other than that, him and a guy from Nellie Cashman's Cafe want me to move there ! I'm more of a woods type,not desert.Sometimes, there's exceptions.
Everyone, was polite and helpful.And a joy to return to Tombstone since
the late 1950's.Was 8 or 9 at the time.
Got plenty of pics. Boothill, was another one.Still free to enter.
And the one's of the Clantons' grave site.
So, if your ready for some real adventure, try Tombstone,AZ. It's worth it.

Toney
12-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you had a neat trip. I went to a trade school AAI in glendale az in 89-90 But was to broke to sight see

C1PNR
12-04-2005, 03:23 AM
454Shooter, I gotta tell ya, I love Idaho:smile: cause it's desert in one direction and mountains in ta other! God I love it!![smilie=l:

I used to make the Idaho to PDRK trip (740 miles one way) in anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 + hours. Usually start at O Dark 30 and put the hammer down!

Man, what a hassle Oregon is at 55 mph no matter what! Just 121 miles of constantly looking over my shoulder!;-)

And Pacheco pass between Santa Nella (I-5) and Gilroy (US 101) was ALWAYS tough. INTO the sun heading east toward Idaho in the AM, and INTO the sun heading west to Watsonville in the PM!

Sounds like you had a great time, and I envy you.

Bullshop Junior
12-04-2005, 05:03 AM
I have never been to Idaho, but I have a good friend that lives there.I am hoping that someday I can go visit. I have lived in Alaska, Montana and New York.
Some day when somone askes where I was born and raised I will have to pick Alaska!!! I love it here. No one to fight when I go hunting because other people do not want to hunt at -20°!
DANIEL/BS JR.
:coffee:

454shooter
12-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi Y'all !!,
Well, the straight drive was a grind.
"Breaker 1-9,got your ears on ?....Looks like we got us a convoy".
Anyway, play CW McCall "Convoy". Reminds me. Guess I better download it.
"This here's the Duck.And I'm about ready to put the hammer down..."
Just felt like I was back in a cabover,3 axle and 13 speeds.
Used what I learned from driving 18 wheelers.Gave up my license at DMV in
1992.Had a Class 1 (Class A now) for 10 years.What I did learn, stays with me.When I turn corners, I check the right side mirror.A habit.
Miss driving those huge trucks ?, yes at times.Got OTR.
Went from Hwy 99 S, to I-5 at Gorman/Le Bec. Then Hwy 138 to Palmdale/
Lancaster.Changed !!! Whoa ! Took I-210 S. Had to diddly-bop to I-10 E.
Traffic was terrific.Drove in that traffic several times.Phoenix and Tucson can
be bad at times,too.That's the reason why I drive at night.About 10:00PM to midnight, the traffic really slacks off.A LOT less headaches.Still have some real dummies driving.[smilie=b: Got one question for these idiot drivers, "WHY ?".
But, I-10 really changed ! VERY nice to drive !
Did someone mention.....IDAHO ?:grin: Some guys I met at the Virginia City Cemetary were from Idaho.They wanted us to visit them.We sure were chomping at the bit ! They said they would stay in touch.Got both e-mail addys.

(C1PNR,one of these days,I just might ask to visit.Would love to see Idaho.)

Well, didn't hear from them.We talked as if we were long time friends.
Maybe next time for Idaho.Here's the kicker; We left Tombstone at about 12:30-1:00PM.By about 4:30-5:00PM, we were in Eloy, Flying J.Eloy,is about
half way between Phoenix and Tucson.Now,I can get out on the cell phone.
Called a guy at Atlas Pacific Engineering Company.We've worked together for about 3-4 years. He asked if I heard the bad news. Nope. Said our cannery was going to be shutdown.True or not,I'm trying to get verification.
So, told him if it is, then I'll go to work for Atlas.
Was hoping for one more year, for 25 years at Signature Fruit Company.
We'll see what does happen.If I do work for Atlas, then a trip to Idaho, will be
delayed.But, YEAH !!, would love to check out Idaho.Need to find a way
to get some land.
Tell you why. This state of Kaleeforina, is getting too politically correct.Most
of the gun laws are insane.IF I walked around with my 454 strapped on like at Tombstone, I'd be put in jail.People have an insane fear of guns.I sure as heck, don't need to show the state that I can shoot.I outshot many in the
San Diego County Sheriff's Department. How about a possible 300 ? My score
(back in the early 70's) was a 297.And, I handgun hunt ! And do carry survival kits. These turkeys are just now waking up, to have survival kits.
Many,are going back to sleep on the issue. The issue,is the big earthquake that is long overdue.(this is called the "big one") Been stocking up on LED flashlights.Bought several of the Dorcy "MetalGear" LEDs. About $19-20.00
each.Uses 3 AAA's. Also have several of the single AAA's LED. Both are good and bright ! The "MetalGear", really bright to say the least.Ok, where to buy:
WalMart.
And, Target has a flexible LED light.Can bend it for lever actions,or any action of guns.About $20.00.
They are just now finding out (brilliant !)that natural disasters (and human invented disasters) are going to days, sometimes,weeks
before any help can arrive.The OES in Sacramento,like our know-it-all government, are saying to have 3 days of food and water. HA! What about
the isolated towns ? These will have to have at least 3 weeks ! 6 weeks, better.The more water and food you have, the better. And, want to know what ? I don't have a college/university degree ! OK, got one year of college.
That don't count.
Do have my high school diploma,and ROP certificates in Radio-TV Repair,and
Computerized Equipment Servicing.And a diploma in GunPro. (That's translated
as "Gunsmith")Have enough electronics to last a long time.
Been considering a HAM license.And have several books on survival.And got the knives for survival,too.
I am looking for some land outside of this crazy state.So, I want to move to a gunfriendly state.Then after I do,let the "big one" hit.
Sorry for the rant again.Strayed off course.But, the one time we were in Oakdale (cowboy capital of the world)at Cindy's Restaurant, several people were sitting at the corner booth.We were in earshot. Heard everything.
They were talking about their deer hunting trips. I thought, "These are MY kind of people!". Enjoyed it a lot.Not this, about some football-baseball-soccer
games.Hunting perks up my ears,QUICK ! This other stuff,to me,is bull pucky.
Sorry BullshopJr, wasn't aiming at you,bud.
I need my freedom. Not some nit-wit from Austria, to tell me what I can or can not own.He might be pegged as a "Republican",but he's still married to
one from the Kennedy clan.
Guess I better quit.And get back to the Westerns Channel.
See y'all later.

454shooter
12-04-2005, 08:00 AM
454Shooter, I gotta tell ya, I love Idaho:smile: cause it's desert in one direction and mountains in ta other! God I love it!![smilie=l:

I used to make the Idaho to PDRK trip (740 miles one way) in anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 + hours. Usually start at O Dark 30 and put the hammer down!

Man, what a hassle Oregon is at 55 mph no matter what! Just 121 miles of constantly looking over my shoulder!;-)

And Pacheco pass between Santa Nella (I-5) and Gilroy (US 101) was ALWAYS tough. INTO the sun heading east toward Idaho in the AM, and INTO the sun heading west to Watsonville in the PM!

Sounds like you had a great time, and I envy you.

Hi C1PNR,
Gilroy.......Lived there too. Back about 1967. Smelled the garlic !
Went to high school there for about 3 months. (Then, back to Escondido.)
My Uncle thought it was onions ! Been past there several months ago.
Used to drive through town.Now, there's a bypass on the west side.
Grown ? WOW ! Malls galore !
Pacheco Pass is still uh, fun(?). I avoid it when ever possible.But, going to surplus stores in the bay area,oh Lord, a nightmare.Sacramento-Stockton at
times,a few choice words.Guess, there's too many drivers out that shouldn't be.
The trip was too short.Missed a lot.Planning was really short.Few hours.Get up and pack the Honda Passport and go.Checked the map.Had to upgrade my maps.Last Atlas was bought in 1997.Usually, just get an idea of where to go.
Then GO, follow the signs.Just backtrack comming back. Bought new maps
at Flying J (fold-ups for California/L.A. area) in Arizona.
Had a side trip in Whittier. Looking for gas.We ended up about an hour/hour and a half behind.Not bad.Also had to find out how to get back on I-5 North.
Ask, and ye shall recieve !
With all the guns,ammo and powder,just glad of no accidents.
Well, I envy you where you are ! One of these days,soon...IDAHO !
Depending on what goes on, I'll dream of Idaho.Never know, could be a reality. My reality: packing it up and getting out.And giving the one-finger salute to this state.(We called it the "Tri Valley SALOOT")
Took a little while to get over Escondido.Now,I could care less.I don't go to my high school reunions.Been invited the first time since 1970,in 2002.A girl
that I had class with, invited me.Miss them in one way, and not miss them in still another way.Better off not going.
Here, I can't see living elbow-to-elbow, and people calls it "living". Martha Stewart has got it wrong ! ALL WRONG !
Yeah, the CB and mirrors sure helps.
Well,got to go.
Catch you later.