PDA

View Full Version : Used RCBS dies for $10.00. GOOD DEAL!!!!!

Bullshop Junior
11-30-2005, 04:10 AM
Yep that is right I got a set of RCBS 223 dies at the gun show for $10.00. I had been using the lee dies and the cases where sailing through the dies, and I thought that was normal, but when I got the RCBS dies the cases are sizing enough that I can see that they are sizing after taking out of the dies.

I was having a lot of trouble with the rifle not pulling the cases out of the chamber. I think that the lee dies were not sizing the cases enough and for that reason they were staying it the chamber. I hope that the gun will eject after changing to RCBS dies. I am using brass that is picked up at the range. I use a Remington 788. It gets me pretty aggrivated when I miss the grouse and when I go to reload the cases stay in the chamber and by the time I get it out the grouse is gone![smilie=f: I hate it when that happens!
DANIEL/BS JR.
[smilie=w::coffee:

Toney
11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Good buy Dan! i have'nt used any of rcbs dies yet

Bullshop Junior
12-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Good buy Dan! i have'nt used any of rcbs dies yet

I think that you would like them!!!!!! They are deffinately different from the Lee dies that I have been using, but I used RCBS dies for everything else and the Lee dies were weird to me!!!!!
DANIEL/BS JR.

versifier
12-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Bullshop Junior,
It make those little warning bells ring when you are talking about sticky extraction. :shock: Did the cases you sized in the Lee dies have any problems going into the chamber before firing? While it is certainly possible, even likely, that the RCBS dies do size them more, if you are working at safe pressures with a decent bolt action like your 788, you shouldn't need to be doing anything more than neck sizing them, let alone full lenght resizing after every firing. These are the questions I would ask if I were trying to figure it out. Was the chamber clean when you fired the Lee sized cases? Did you clean it after that and before you tried the RCBS sized cases? What are the specs of the loads you were having the problem with? You said you were using range brass - mil cases? or what brand(s)? Did the primers of the sticky fired cases show any signs of cratering or flattening? How about the primers of the ones that didn't stick? Serious full length or small base resizing is normally only called for with some levers, pumps, semi-autos, and mg's, not for bolts actions or single shots, unless the cases have first been fired in another gun. Generally, sticky extraction is caused by other factors, and some of them are potentially serious. :eek:
You might also have your dad check out this thread and give you his two cents worth - he has more than enough experience to both understand why it made my alarm bells go off and to easily help you to figure out if there is a possible safety issue involved. I doubt that there is, but I was always taught that when something doesn't seem right, a smart man finds out why. Sticky extraction is a "doesn't seem right" kind of thing.
I have witnessed the very serious consequences of someone not paying attention to the little details, and would much prefer the idea that you will still be enjoying hunting, loading, and shooting when you get to be an old fart like me! No single part of what we're doing is difficult or complicated in itself, but there are A LOT of things we have to be aware of while we're doing it, and no matter what your age, it takes a while to learn them. And, truth to tell, that learning is a process that keeps going on for your whole life!:rolleyes:

Bullshop Junior
12-15-2005, 06:23 AM
versifier,
No, the load is not too hot!!!!!!!! The gun has a tight chamber, and the bolt closed hard on the ammo. The ammo is not too hot, because my dad uses the same powder, the same boolit and the same amount of powder that I am using in the 222. The load is not of to much presser, because I have shot a lot of the ammo with no problems and it is well below a max listed charge, it is just that some of the cases stick in the chamber. At one time I fired a case in the rifle micked it with a caliper, and then full lenth sized it in the lee dies, miced it in the same spot, and the dementions were the same. The cases that I use are mixed millitary and federal. The chamber was clean, and I have not tried the cases sized with the RCBS dies yet. I use federal 205 primers and there in no sign of piercing or any other problems. My dad helps me develop all of my loads, is the first one to shoot it, and always checks the cases for problems after the load is shot. The cases that I am using I have loaded and shot about 20+ times and there are no problem, exept for extracting. I posted the loads that I use on this forum on the topic that you responded to earlier about the 22/243. This rifle has been rechambered from a 222 so there might be a problem with the chamber too.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
You can't go wrong with a set of dies for $10.00 young fella [smilie=p: They'll last you for years. All part of the Fun of reloading (until your doing 800rnds of .223 + a week) The 788 is a great rifle & it was a shame that Remington dropped it from their line sounds like who ever did the reaming job on the chamber of your rifle was (a) having a really bad day or (B) they were having somesort of Acid Flashback !I would advise taking it to a good 'Smith' & maybe getting the chamber 'Cleaned' up a bit! Also I have always been a little cautous about Brass I did'nt really know the history of . Esp ex mil stuff they seem to be a little haphazard with quality control . But hey stick with it & above all enjoy yourself

Dave

versifier
12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Excellent! "Hard going in" is the operative phrase that turns off the alarm bells. You took all of the necessary steps to diagnose the problem and insure your (and others') safety in a logical and careful manner. You are so very lucky to have someone who can show you when you need to know something so close to hand. Most of us had to get by with books and old magazines when we were learning. I think you may be right about the rechambering job that was done on it, it most likely is a rough surface. Any obvious rubbing (shiny spots) or scoring on the brass of the shoulder and just below it from the hard chambering? It could also be cut slightly off center or be poorly headspaced, but you would know right off if either of the last two were problems from your examination of the fired brass. A simple chamber cast with cerrosafe will tell you that right off if you need to, anyway. Roughness is aggravating, but no big deal and it is easily remedied. You could simply polish the chamber with tight patches and finish with a 45cal swab that have really fine grit polishing compound (like green rouge) on them. You have to be gentle with it, though, as it's about 800 grit and it will remove metal if you get too enthusiastic. Keep us posted, your fun is our fun too!