PDA

View Full Version : just venting about anti-gun experience

gp1
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Just had to vent about an experience I had yesterday.

I went to my bank to get a money order for my fingerprint fee since I need a duplicate firearms ID card since I moved. ( I know that I should not need to get printed again, but since many pd's like to make up their own rules it is not worth arguing with my local pd over this and potentially causing issues or tension)

While I was getting the money order the cashier noticed the paper from the police dept that had the fees listed and probed as to what the money order was for and if I had gotten in trouble for tickets or something similar. I found this odd and slightly insulting so I explained that it was for a fingerprint fee for a firearms ID card. I should have kept my mouth shut- as soon as I said this one of the other tellers proceeded to act very dramatic and started saying that she was very scared ( the teller I was with joined in) and that she hated "those things" and that people "like me" scared her. Then they started asking if I had a gun on me??????????

My responce was - " no- and ignporant people like you scare me."

As you can tell I am still fuming about this today. I though of going back and talking to the branch manager but I doubt it will help, I am still considering it though.
I am just fed up with guns and gun owners being demonized.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to get this off my chest
Ilya

versifier
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
A letter to both the branch manager and his/her area manager/supervisor are in order. Make it polite, calm in tone, and include all of the details you posted, and at the bottom of each letter, type "cc: (name of the other recipient)". Tell how you felt both threatened and alienated by the actions of the tellers while lawfully exercising your civil rights as an American citizen as guaranteed by the US Constitution, and that you are as a result very reluctant to do any further business in the future with any business whose employees not only did not respect the privacy of a customer, but would treat any law abiding citizen in such an outrageous manner. Don't threaten them and don't demand anything from them. See if you get a response. If not, or if the response is not acceptable to you, change banks and send copy(s) of the letter(s) to your local paper. We do not need to put up with such treatment, and if our protests are made in a reasonable, calm, and polite manner, we are more likely to be able to convince those sitting on the fence. You are placing the bank manager in a no win situation, and the easiest way out of it for him/her is to apologize to you, and by sending a copy to his/her boss at the same time you insure that the matter is not swept under the rug.

JJB2
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
it seems again like the sixties are a problem here...... all that free love and peace crap! i grew up in the sixties and alot of these people made me want to puke then and now they have raised kids and grandkids........... you will never change these peoples minds about being threatened by an inanimat(sp) object.. i do believe that generation is most of whats wrong with the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA today....... i got into a little discussion with a friend of mine here in town... he owns and prints the local newspaper... he was telling me about an old friend of his and the arsenal he owned.... it kind of disturbed him that he owned so many rifles and other guns.... i calmly said "hey this is AMERICA and as far as i'm concerned he can own as many firearms as he wants....." he's an old IOWA farmer so he can afford to get all he wants.... i'm not too worried about people who have an unwarrented fear of firearms.... it's THEIR problem..............

gp1
04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Versifier- You are right on the money. I need to inform the bank management and I will.

As to the anti-gun mindset I still cannot understand why seemingly intelligent people continue to scape goat an object (firearms) instead of trying to fix the underlying problems. I remember having a discussion years ago with someone who stated that all guns should be banned; Since I knew that logic would not work I told him the following- "first we need to confiscate all trucks and SUV’s and ban all alcohol". He seemed baffled by this so I continued to push the point of how large cars and people who drink kill thousands of people a week. I continued to push my point using the same irrational talking points that anti-gun people use and stressed that "if you care about stopping children from being killed you would agree with me". (Btw- just to be clear, my argument with this person was to demonstrate a point and I do not actually believe in banning the items above)

In the end I still do not get through to him but I have been able to sway some others to where they no longer viewed guns and gun owners as evil.

On a separate but somewhat related note of people refusing to take responsibility for their own actions:
I remember an article from years ago where a man was suing GM because of injuries he sustained in his corvette during a crash. The man had a corvette that he had bought used (the car was 20yrs old when he bought it) and he had wrapped it around a tree while driving drunk and speeding. He claimed that the door hinge had broken in the impact and that his injuries were greater due to that fact.
Unreal- he is drunk, speeding, and in an old used car and still sues the manufacturer because he felt that the door hinge should have survived the car being bent in half.
In a nice instance of clarity the case was thrown out of court by the judge

sharps 4570
04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
A truck is setting in front of a bar a rifle hanging in back window. Drunk comes out of bar get in truck drives down highway hit a car full of people kills all. who or what killed the people (the drunk, the truck,the rifle.)

versifier
04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Then there was the fool a few years ago who sued Winnebago. He was driving his new motor home down the interstate and had to use the rest room, so he engaged the cruise control and did just that. Surviving the resulting crash, his claim was that nowhere in the owner's manual did it say this would be a dangerous thing to do. Robert Heinlein said it best "There's no such thing as a dangerous weapon. There are only dangerous men." (And women. And teens.) Ignorance can sometimes be educated, but Darwin has the only real cure for stupid. It's a shame natural selection doesn't assert itself a little more often.

versifier
04-15-2009, 03:03 PM
A truck is setting in front of a bar a rifle hanging in back window. Drunk comes out of bar get in truck drives down highway hit a car full of people kills all. who or what killed the people (the drunk, the truck,the rifle.)

The rifle wasn't it? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

JJB2
04-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Then there was the fool a few years ago who sued Winnebago. He was driving his new motor home down the interstate and had to use the rest room, so he engaged the cruise control and did just that. Surviving the resulting crash, his claim was that nowhere in the owner's manual did it say this would be a dangerous thing to do. Robert Heinlein said it best "There's no such thing as a dangerous weapon. There are only dangerous men." (And women. And teens.) Ignorance can sometimes be educated, but Darwin has the only real cure for stupid. It's a shame natural selection doesn't assert itself a little more often.

if that's a true story we are in more trouble than even thought....... like the man said "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID".............

life is short.....

gp1
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
"can't fix stupid" personal experience I had years ago:

Years ago I was a tech for ford- I had a man come into our dealership with a seized engine with only 38k miles on his car. Upon investigating we found that he had never changed the oil in his car since day 1 ( back then the car had an oil filter from the factory that had no markings on it and was grey in color- this car still had the original oil filter). He admitted that this was indeed the case, but stated that it was still ford's recponcibility since no one had every told him speficaly that it was a requirement to change the oil in a car and it was not his responcibility to read the owners manual.
He complained so much to Ford that sadly they actually split the cost of engine replacement with him.

armyrat1970
04-25-2009, 10:05 AM
"can't fix stupid" personal experience I had years ago:

Years ago I was a tech for ford- I had a man come into our dealership with a seized engine with only 38k miles on his car. Upon investigating we found that he had never changed the oil in his car since day 1 ( back then the car had an oil filter from the factory that had no markings on it and was grey in color- this car still had the original oil filter). He admitted that this was indeed the case, but stated that it was still ford's recponcibility since no one had every told him speficaly that it was a requirement to change the oil in a car and it was not his responcibility to read the owners manual.
He complained so much to Ford that sadly they actually split the cost of engine replacement with him.

Stupid is as Stupid does. I would INDEED send a message to the branch manager and to his or her supervisors. If I want to get that kind of abuse I can just stay at home and get it from the wife:)
That is absurd at the least and fully un-warranted.

RugerSP101
06-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I went to walmart the other evening looking for black belt webbing to get some ideas about how I might end up carrying.
After looking I asked one of the guys if they had those belts used for hunting equipment and he told me to ask this other gent.
So I asked him and the topic of what I was using it for came up. So I just told him that Im getting my CHL and need a belt I can take off easily for my holster. I noticed a very quick change in the demeanor of two of the guys standing there.
I had said it sort of low because there was a family with young kids within about 12 feet and I figured there was no need in causing them to get bent out of shape, but these guys at the sporting goods counter, two of them anyway, seemed like frightened little girls when I even mentioned the CHL.
What, you nimrods dont see all the GUN ammunition that your store SELLS just 4 feet away. Youve never seen a GUN before ?

People like THAT are the ones who worry me. They are so afraid of guns that they'll vote any worthless anti-gun politician they can into office and wont figure it out until martial law is declared and they have no freedoms or rights left.

Just had to vent about an experience I had yesterday.

I went to my bank to get a money order for my fingerprint fee since I need a duplicate firearms ID card since I moved. ( I know that I should not need to get printed again, but since many pd's like to make up their own rules it is not worth arguing with my local pd over this and potentially causing issues or tension)

While I was getting the money order the cashier noticed the paper from the police dept that had the fees listed and probed as to what the money order was for and if I had gotten in trouble for tickets or something similar. I found this odd and slightly insulting so I explained that it was for a fingerprint fee for a firearms ID card. I should have kept my mouth shut- as soon as I said this one of the other tellers proceeded to act very dramatic and started saying that she was very scared ( the teller I was with joined in) and that she hated "those things" and that people "like me" scared her. Then they started asking if I had a gun on me??????????

My responce was - " no- and ignporant people like you scare me."

As you can tell I am still fuming about this today. I though of going back and talking to the branch manager but I doubt it will help, I am still considering it though.
I am just fed up with guns and gun owners being demonized.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to get this off my chest
Ilya

runfiverun
06-05-2009, 11:03 PM
have you noticed what they are teaching children about guns in school?
gotta scream and faint at the mere mention.

Jim_Fleming
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
sorry for jumping on the wagon so late, but I'm still new, and still exploring this wonderful board.

WELL SAID versifier!

Except that in my case, I would have included the info to the bank officers the fact that I was going close my accounts at the end of the letters, and I would have sent a CC: copy of the letter to the editor of my local paper. Yeah I know that would tell the whole world that Jim Fleming has a gun permit, which he does incidentally, but Jim Fleming is not going to allow mere bank tellers to treat him that way.

And yes, closing the accounts wouldn't have done anything beyond the fact that it would make me feel better, and tell the bank where to get off with B.S. policies like that, etc.

Take Care,

Jim

A letter to both the branch manager and his/her area manager/supervisor are in order. Make it polite, calm in tone, and include all of the details you posted, and at the bottom of each letter, type "cc: (name of the other recipient)". Tell how you felt both threatened and alienated by the actions of the tellers while lawfully exercising your civil rights as an American citizen as guaranteed by the US Constitution, and that you are as a result very reluctant to do any further business in the future with any business whose employees not only did not respect the privacy of a customer, but would treat any law abiding citizen in such an outrageous manner. Don't threaten them and don't demand anything from them. See if you get a response. If not, or if the response is not acceptable to you, change banks and send copy(s) of the letter(s) to your local paper. We do not need to put up with such treatment, and if our protests are made in a reasonable, calm, and polite manner, we are more likely to be able to convince those sitting on the fence. You are placing the bank manager in a no win situation, and the easiest way out of it for him/her is to apologize to you, and by sending a copy to his/her boss at the same time you insure that the matter is not swept under the rug.

golddigger
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I started to teach my oldest daughter how to shot and gun safety and also help with my reloading. She was so proud that she had told her teacher that her dad was teaching her this sport and hobby.

Well can you guess where this is going.
My wife and I got called to school.
They then started asking if I had a gun safe, gun locks, ect, ect, ect.
I was polite but getting real pissed. Then they told me they would put it in her permanet file that Dad ownes guns and that she knows how to use them. Then they explaind to me that they were going to inform the local and county law enforcement of this.

They told me that things would be better if they banned guns all the way around.

I could not hold back any longer. I blew up and told them that I was friends with 3 deputies and my best friend is the lead detective for the city and that we shot with the city and county law enforcement. I gave them there personel cell numbers and demanded that they call them.

When that was done I told them if my daughter was treated any different in any way not only wold I have there jobs but i Would own every thing they owned and would own the school district. I also told them that I was going to submitt letters to the school board and that these letters would stay in there personel file for as long as they were there.

Lets just say they tried to kiss my butt

Jim_Fleming
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
ya know... It's awfully peculiar how the flaming liberals back off when they get slammed in the face with good sense and logic...

Good Job Gold Digger

Perhaps they should've puckered up...?

Jim

armyrat1970
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I started to teach my oldest daughter how to shot and gun safety and also help with my reloading. She was so proud that she had told her teacher that her dad was teaching her this sport and hobby.

I was polite but getting real pissed. Then they told me they would put it in her permanet file that Dad ownes guns and that she knows how to use them. Then they explaind to me that they were going to inform the local and county law enforcement of this.

They told me that things would be better if they banned guns all the way around.

I could not hold back any longer. I blew up and told them that I was friends with 3 deputies and my best friend is the lead detective for the city and that we shot with the city and county law enforcement. I gave them there personel cell numbers and demanded that they call them.

When that was done I told them if my daughter was treated any different in any way not only wold I have there jobs but i Would own every thing they owned and would own the school district. I also told them that I was going to submitt letters to the school board and that these letters would stay in there personel file for as long as they were there.

Of course it is a down right insult but one can only expect such things with the way things are going with the idiots that are using weapons to shoot up schools and kill innocent young people at a reckless pace. I would not have liked the questioning either but you have to understand the concern from them for one thing. The safety of the children they have in the school under their care. Doesn't matter if they are a gun advocate or anti gun, they have their concern for the children under their care. That you should feel good about. Even if your pride was hurt a little.

armyrat1970
06-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Of course it is a down right insult but one can only expect such things with the way things are going with the idiots that are using weapons to shoot up schools and kill innocent young people at a reckless pace. I would not have liked the questioning either but you have to understand the concern from them for one thing. The safety of the children they have in the school under their care. Your children. Doesn't matter if they are a gun advocate or anti gun, they have their concern for the children under their care. That you should feel good about. Even if your pride was hurt a little.

versifier
06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry, but I cannot agree.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If we give up our freedoms in the name of security we will have neither in the end.

To interrogate a child in such a matter is unconsionable, and no excuse they give for it can ever make it acceptable unless one or both parents are convicted felons, mentally ill, or drug dealers. Aside for it being absolutely none of their damned business, it sets a precedent of invasion of the privacy of home and family life that will have lasting and extremely negative repercussions in all of our lives. Those responsible should be finding out the hard way just how difficult decent jobs are to come by in today's economy. A week or so on the night shift of the local convenience store trying to keep the crack heads from stealing everything that isn't nailed down might be a real eye opener. As will the cold reality of dealing with actual armed robbers with nothing more than their soiled underwear for protection. After that, proper instruction of children in safe and responsible use and handling of firearms ultimately resulting in more responsible armed citizens walking around in the community might just seem like a smarter way to live in today's admittedly dangerous world.

Giving in to institutional paranoia is no way to keep anyone safe, and as soon as that is gotten through the heads of the "educated" (if it ever can be) we can begin to look rationally at ways that might have some chance of succeeding. I see no reason why honest, law abiding citizens with no criminal record and no history of paranoia, voilence, or other mental illness, or drug abuse should not be able to carry in our schools, and this includes teachers and school staff who are properly permitted as per the laws of individual states. This also extends to all forms of public transportation and to all public buildings including POST OFFICES (except our court houses - that restriction does make sense as long as it does not apply to judges, court employees, and jurors, all of whom are put at risk.). Fearing the law abiding, the foundation of our society, and knuckling under to the real criminals and paranoids in power is tearing America apart before our very eyes.

Rant concluded.

runfiverun
06-14-2009, 12:36 AM
if i had a way to print that versifier i would send that in to the local paper for editorial.
even in a small town like i live in it is the teachers that are trying to indoctrinate the sense of fear and loathing,that guns should bring. [according to them]
trust me, their viewpoints being countered by a student will get that students grade lowered.
thought it was kinda strange my youngest daughter was on the honor roll and yet could not get her grade above a [barely ] a c in one class.
guess which class the teacher was very vocally anti second ammendment in...

Sensai
06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
If the "educational system" really wanted to increase the security in our schools we would have a voluntary course in firearms familiarization and safety offered in each school, teachers would be REQUIRED to carry arms, and the gun taboo would be abolished. I'm sure that all of this will occur by next semester. Right??

rtracy2001
08-28-2009, 04:10 AM
if i had a way to print that versifier i would send that in to the local paper for editorial.

Highlight the text, copy, paste into a word document, print away (with permission of course)

Don't have a printer let me know, I'll print it for you and send you a copy. Not that the paper will print it in this liberal hotbed that is southeast Idaho.

Gotta love the comment form the sheriff in this article:

http://www.kpvi.com/global/story.asp?s=6661859

Honestly we need to get a small town to pass an ordinance that everyone legally qualified to own a gun MUST own a gun, show basic proficiency and keep it and ammo in their home or on their person at all times. The liberals won't be able to figure out why the crime rate is so low.

Alas, doing such would probably undermine the very freedoms we enjoy as Americans.

How can we educate those that think they know everything?

dsmjon
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Don't ask questions to which you won't like the answer.

I'd raise more stink than dead skunk poop on a shoe. Starting with the branch manager, then go over his head, then over his head. Drop some releases to the local papers as well.