PDA

View Full Version : some pre-reloading questions.

Taykaim
04-13-2009, 05:40 AM
So, I'm looking to get into reloading.

My first active step is going to be acquiring two of the bullet manufacturer reloading manuals, and reading all the theory and practice covered in one of them, and looking through the other to see if they cover things in another way. I've heard several times to have two books on hand, but they always refer to the tables and charts as the reason.

As a side note, I am quite open to suggestions as to what book(s) in particular would best serve someone wanting to get started reloading. Books aimed at increasing my understanding of the overall process with a lot of detail would be best I suspect.

My first passive step was mentioning something about my interest in reloading in the company of family. I am now the proud possessor of my late grandfather's single stage Pacific Power C press. He wasn't the sort to have cut rate tools, so I assume this is or was at one time considered a decent piece of hardware. So I have this blue cast iron piece of hardware, a plastic cup, a metal handle and two tiny pieces of metal (one that is a a short rod, and the other a ring that the rod can pass through). As you might imagine if you can recall knowing as little about reloading as I do, I am asking myself, "where do I go from here?"

My questions about the press itself.

#1 Is it indeed a worthy press? I am certainly happy to not have to buy a press, as money is one of the reasons I want to reload. It is of course a single stage, and while I expect one day I'll want a progressive, but since I'm making small explosives, I want to know the process pretty darn well before I get there.

#2 If the press is of good enough quality (after I clean up the rust), is it worth using? Will I constantly have to look for special sized dies or other parts to reload using this press? In short, while I would like to keep my grandfather's press alive, will it be excessively difficult to do so? On this topic, can parts for these presses be found these days?

#3 I only have what is shown in these pictures. If anyone here has one of these presses, and can tell me about any parts that are missing, that would be most helpful. Pictures, even more so. Pictures of a properly setup press of this type would be fabulous. Also, are manuals for this press available for download anywhere? In short, beyond what is shown in the photos, what else is needed?

#4 Of the re loadable metallic cases, I shoot .38spc, 9mm, .357mag, 7.62X39, .308win, 30-06. My guess is that if I have a problem, it will be with the 30-06, but if anyone knows for sure, it would be great to know if this press is able to handle these cartridges.

#5 Lastly, I have heard much conflicting info about dies. One person says most all dies will fit most all single stage presses, and you only have to worry about manufacturer on progressive presses.

Another unrelated source says that the steel and nickel cases I had considered "unlreloadable" are technically reloadable, but that they are very hard on the reloading equipment, the dies in particular, and require additional arm effort. I don't plan to reload any steel or nickel cases, but for my morbid curiosity, it would be nice to know the answer.

A couple of questions about reloading in general.

Of those calibers listed above, I shoot the most 9mm with .308 coming in close behind. Looking at the pressures involved, it *seems* that 9mm is a safer round to start with, especially as I am not entertaining any thoughts of producing hot loads, and in fact will be making loads on the lower end of the scale for the cartridge. Is reloading for all the calibers listed above too ambitious of an end goal once I get competent with my equipment?

I don't know this, but I suspect that the pistol cases listed can share primer, and that the 38spc/367mag and 308/30-06 can share both primers and some bullets, not sure about the 7.62X39, but maybe it can also have some parts in common with the other 30 caliber rifle rounds? For that matter, is that kind of interchangeability considered a good thing or an additional risk of mishap?

Anyway, I guess some or even most of my questions will be answered when I read the first book, but any info or tips will be most appreciated.

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp3500.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp3501.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp3502.jpg

runfiverun
04-13-2009, 06:07 AM
that is a good enough press to last the rest of your life too.
it's not a heavy duty press, but certainly will do 95% of all reloading chores out there.
you got a press a handle and the primer seater,the little rod and cup are for either small or large primers depending on what is already in the press.
you should ask whomever had it to see if they have any other parts in boxes they might have die sets and a scale etc..
the abc's of reloading is a pretty good one as is the lyman manual as it has cast and jacketed data and is a fairly easy read.
here is how hard reloading is.
1 punch out the old primer and resize the case,done in the same die.
2 put in a new primer.
3 put powder in the case.
4 put the bullet in the case.
those are the steps, each one has subtlety's that go with it.

runfiverun
04-13-2009, 06:13 AM
at my last count i have 44 different die sets available for my guns.
some are used for a few different cases like the 44 special 44 mag and 445 supermag.
the 38 is probably your easiest one to start with.
but the 30-06 is definately not a hard case to reload.
the 9mm will be your most critical one to get right.
if that 7.62x39 is in a semi auto [sks-ak] it will probably be your biggest headache.

versifier
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Welcom to the Guide Taykaim.

You are a wise man to start with manuals. With that attitude you will have a lot of fun loading for many happy years. My favorite manuals are Sierra and Lyman, but they are all full of good information. If you find in time that you have a favorite brand of bullet, get theirs, too. I like to have three on hand to evaluate loads, they all use different components and firearms to generate their data, so they don't always agree 100% on everything. What do you do if you have two and they disagree? A third will settle any questions, usually. The ABC's of Reloading is an excellent book to to have in your collection, too, and it will give you a lot more specific information in much greater detail than the manuals will. Each of them will give a slightly different overview, but their different perspectives will, as you suspected, contribute to a more comprehensive overall picture.

Pacific makes very good equipment. I know nothing about any presses older than 35 or 40 years, but I know who does. For specifics on your press, go next door to Cast Boolits and seek out Floodgate. He is a good man and an expert on and collecter of older and antique reloading equipment. He likely has several examples of the press in question and can explain anything about it you don't understand, as well as how to find parts for it if they are needed. (And if he doesn't know, he will tell you who does.) As far as I know, it can handle all of those cartridges, but ask the expert. I would if it were me. Most all presses today take dies with the standard 7/8-14 thread, but with older presses that was not always true. Some had their own proprietary sizes and many were not interchangable. Another question for Floodgate in regard to your particular press.

Steel cases are not reloadable. (It is technically possible, but not at all practical, not even considering the fact that they use Berdan primers.) Nickel cases are no problem. You might not get as long a working life with them, but they are perfectly usable. I load hunting and carry ammo in them.

Start with the .38spec and .357. They use the same .358" bullets. Rimmed revolver cases are the easiest to start with. All the pistol cases listed use small pistol primers, though some loads in the .357 might require small pistol magnums for good ignition. It depends on the powder, bullet, and how hot the load is. The 9mm uses the same small pistol primer and many of the same powders. Alliant Unique powder would work in all three. Each gun often has a personal preference, but that will get you started.

The .308 and .30-06 can share large rifle primers, have many powders in common, and .308" bullets, too. The 7.62x39 uses a large rifle primer and either .308" or .311" bullets depending on what you shoot it in. If it's an SKS or AK, most likely .311", if a Ruger or a CZ bolt, .308". (If in doubt, ask and I will explain how to slug a barrel, but if I know what you're shooting them in I can probably save you the hassle.) IMR 3031 or IMR4895 will do well with all three with bullets from 125gr up through 180 in the bigger two. They are not always the easiest to run through a powder measure, but they are stellar performers and have been since long before either of us were around. Again, an individual rifle may have specific preferences for a particular powder and bullet, but there is no way to predict what it will be, you have to ask them by testing different ones.

I think that answers all the questions I can. After a consultation with Floodgate you will know the details about your press, and after some reading you will have a better overview. Likely that will raise even more questions, and that is a good thing. The only dumb questions are the ones a man thinks he's too proud to ask. When I started there was no one to ask except writing to Sierra, wait a month, and hope I knew enough to ask the right question. Sometimes it took several months of letters going back and forth to figure out what I now would consider simple things. But I remember. There are a lot of folks here just like me with a lot of years experience between us loading most anything that might interest you from muzzle loaders to .22Hornets to .50BMG's. And when we don't know the answer, we usually have the resources to help you find it.

JJB2
04-20-2009, 04:44 AM
my main reloading is an old BAIR c-frame press that predates pacific co. it's the best press i have ever seen as far as accuracy and longevity.... clean her up and oil her and give her a job for the rest of your life....... my press came from a family member too and i cherish it for that reason... besides the thing is unbreakable...... i do use a lee speed die set instead of the bair dies but you'd have a real hard time getting that old blue press away from me......