PDA

View Full Version : see-thru brass

casullman
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
nomater how far, or not ,i run the expander down the case the bullet outline shows thru the case and all bullets have seated easily ( new to pistol reloading rifle is much easier) Any thoughts anyone??????

versifier
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
That is not uncommon, especially with oversized cast bullets, but it has happened to me with jacketed bullets, too. Usually it is nothing to worry about. I have never been able to figure out exactly why it happens when the same lot of brass is sized in the same die and the same size bullets are seated in all of them that one or two should come out that way. Obviously, logic says that either there was something different about those few cases or those few bullets, but careful measuring before and during loading trying to figure it out left me just as confused as to the actual cause. All I could come up with is that when I took my time and seated slowly and consistantly, it happened less often, but it still happened. If a lot of them are coming out that way, take a little more time for the seating operation and don't try to rush it. Mostly they all shot fine and did not cause fliers (my biggest concern) as long as the bullets were seated straight. The upside of this is that you can easily see if the bullets are seating straight and parallel to the bore - with certain seaters and short handgun bullets sometimes they are a bit off, which as you can imagine does nothing for accuracy, but that is an entirely different issue. If you are having any difficulty chambering the rounds however, then get yourself a Lee Factory Crimp die. It has a carbide sizing ring to reduce the outside diameter to within specs and insure that the rounds will chamber.

runfiverun
02-28-2009, 04:10 AM
i think it has to do with work hardening of the case.[springback]
you could segregate them and measure the inside diameter of a fired case and compare it to the ones that don't have it.

missionary5155
02-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Good morning and A Big Howdy to ya !
So some basic Questions need addressed... What size are your cylinder throats ? What size is your boolit ? What is the inside diameter of a fired case? What is the inside diametr of a resized case ?
Your resizer is probably squeeeezing the brass down far beyond what you need To be seating your boolit. If your fired cases rechamber without stiff pushing on the case head there is no NEED to resize the whole case. Just the boolit area needs resized for good boolit tension.
It is also possible your resizer is resizing more than you need but I would not worry to much about that yet. Get all the basics measured and go from there.
On my 44-40 winny & Colt New Service I only resize my cases Partially. Just enough to get the neck tension I want to hold my chamber size boolits in place. I do the same on my 357 cases. I would rather the case fits the cylinder WITHOUT being real loose and ratttling around . Accuracy can be helped this way. BUT if the cylinders are not the same diameter then you have complications. Again my Coly New service... one cylinder is about .005+ fatter than the rest that are near the same diameter. I keep a piece of rolled paper in that cylinder and it does not get shot much. The other 5 cylinders are so close the fired brass is interchangable. The fat one.. fired brass from that one will not enter the other cylinders.
But it is fun and challenging...
God Bless you

casullman
02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
nomater how far, or not ,i run the expander down the case the bullet outline shows thru the case and all bullets have seated easily ( new to pistol reloading rifle is much easier) Any thoughts anyone??????
a second question Are there any opinions on starline brass???????

versifier
02-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I think it's about the best American made brass. I have a bunch of their pistol and revolver cases that are longer lasting than the Energizer Bunny.

runfiverun
03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
sometimes starline is a bit thicker then the other brands.
but i sure buy it when i need new brass.
wish they would make rifle brass.

1Shirt
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
To me, as long as it chambers and goes down the bbl accurately I have no problem other than the fact that they look a bit odd. Agree with Versifier on the factory crimp. Works for me.
1Shirt!:coffee:

casullman
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I have measured and found extreme consistancy (brass,jacketed bullets,and the cylinder bores) and excellent accuracy at the range thank you all for your help. I guees I'll go with the flow and not fix it if it isn't broke.