PDA

View Full Version : Browning M-92 in 44 mag

tomkitty
12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I have a beautiful Browning Model 92 in 44 magnum caliber that just doesn't want to shoot well. Does anyone have any experience with this particular gun that can give me some advice? Seems like it shoots worse as the bullet weight goes up. Can't seem to find a good combination of load and bullet for it. Help!

wildbill49
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't have the Browning, but have had the same problems with my Puma (Rossi) .44 Mag. It shoots the 250's great, but when going up to the 310's the group opens up to 5 or 6 inches at 100 yards. I can shoot these same loads from a revolver, both S&W and Ruger with both bullets giving good groups of about 2 inches at 50 yards with iron sights. Have you considered the twist? Just a thought.

missionary5155
12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Good afternoon and WELCOME !!!
Youy may have already checked these items... BUT have you slugged the barrel and the throat area ? Of the two the throat is THE most important as the boolit has to fill this at ignition to seal off the expanding gas.
I generally figure a cast boolit .001-.003 oversize depending on bore condition. My 1892 44-40 likes a .002 oversize SOFT boolit. Actually my habit is to cast as soft as possible for the load and application.
Are you casting your own or are these ROCK hard purchased boolits ?
So there are a couple items to work on.
God Bless you and your family !

redwing
12-30-2008, 07:02 AM
I have a Browning 92 .44 Mag. The little rifle shoots just fine. My handgun loads are Max Win 296 and 240 Gr. hard cast. These are the same loads I shoot in the Browning.
The Browning like the Winchester 92 has a very poor front sight. Most of the poor shooting from these rifles is related to the sights. In most cases if you mount a peep sight on the rifle you will see a big change in your shooting.:-D

Ruffnex
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the page. I was just reading these Browning posts as I just purchased one. I don't even have it yet it's waiting to be shipped. Just thought I could throw in two cents on these post.
Check the twist of the barrel. Sounds like you may have to slow of a twist rate.

Good Shootin'....Scott P.