PDA

View Full Version : Unique for .45

Loademup
11-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I would like to know what your ideas are on powders for lead .45's go. I have Unique and have been looking at W231, but the W231 is not used with the .357 Sig. Any ideas?

Paradude54
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Are you referring to .45 ACP? If so, then I can be of some help. I use it in my loads with 230 gr. bullets, both FMJ and JHP. I use 6.4 grs. of Unique and a Federal 150 primer.

It is a bit dirtier than 231, but I'm an old blackpowder and flintlock guy, so this is nothing compared to that. It's accurate as well. If you want to confirm my load you can find it in the Sierra reloading manual.

Loademup
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Are you referring to .45 ACP? If so, then I can be of some help. I use it in my loads with 230 gr. bullets, both FMJ and JHP. I use 6.4 grs. of Unique and a Federal 150 primer.

It is a bit dirtier than 231, but I'm an old blackpowder and flintlock guy, so this is nothing compared to that. It's accurate as well. If you want to confirm my load you can find it in the Sierra reloading manual.

I just am now starting to load for it and have four profiles to run tests with, and I'm not even done with the .357 Sig tests I have. Now I have to run them for 200gr LSWC, 200gr RNFP, 225gr TC, and 230gr RN, from min to max. What I want to do is at least have a load I blast away while I prepare to run and run the tests on the other profiles I have. The majority of bullets I have are the 200gr TC.

For the Sig I have rounds ready to test from 10.3gr AA#9 to 12.9gr with a 122gr LTC, and from 11.9gr AA#9 to 12.1gr under a 124gr plated FP, second round. I've already tested Precision Delta 125gr, West Coast 124gr, Magma 125gr lead FPBB, and I don't count the first round I did with Two Alpha 122gr because it was the first batch I loaded, I moved my hand to try to hit where the first bullet hit, and the target was moving downrange.

missionary5155
11-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I think I have used Unique in every caliber I own and that includes all my 45īs... 45-70 45acp 45 Colt

versifier
11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I use a lot of UNQ in .45ACP and have no complaints with it. I shoot cast 230grRN and RNHP. But the issues aren't if my pistols like it or not, it is will yours shoot it accurately with its favorite bullet and will it do the job you need it to do?

Of the four I am currently loading for, it is not always the most accurate powder, but it is acceptably accurate in all four. To me that means it will keep all shots on the paper (8.5x11 target) at 25yds. With two of the four, it will keep all shots in 4" or less. All four are self defence pistols, and though one of the four (a Kimber) is really match accurate, they only NEED to shoot MOa (Minute Of ***hole) for my purposes. I do not shoot competitively, but I do shoot a lot and prefer not to have to keep track of four different loads, each specific to a different gun.

It is always good to know what bullet/power/brass combination any gun likes BEST, but it is also important to clearly define what your intended use for it is. Many different loads will be acceptable for one use or another, though the stricter your requirements for accuracy and performance, the smaller that number becomes. I test every new gun with a variety of powders and bullets because I want to know the potential of each one. Often the best bullet for its intended use is not the most accurate, though for my .45's luckily it is. Because the HP's are difficult and time consuming to cast, despite their edge in accuracy 90% of my loads use the same bullet without the HP that I can crank out by the hundreds with a 6cav mould. This gives me the exact same functional characteristics and the same POI, and though I do lose a bit of accuracy with the regular RN, it lets me practice and train with essentially the same load that I carry.

If I were a competitive shooter, I would load for each pistol individually and keep the ammo for each separate and well labeled. That would probably mean loading with a different powder and bullet for each pistol. I shudder to think how confusing that would be and how often I would end up grabbing the wrong ammo. That would have a very negative effect on both my blood pressure and my attitude, so I am happy with the status quo. :mrgreen: BTW, I do have a record of what the Kimber likes best, and I keep a few hundred of its favorite bullets in stock. Every so often I like to make sure that I can still shoot up to its standards, and, happily, I still can. ;)

runfiverun
11-29-2008, 12:43 AM
see what versifier said i can't believe there are no 231 loads for the sig you can also look at titegroup, there should be some very serviceable loads for both 45 acp and your sig it is nice for the semi's as it is position insensitive. and meters well,is consistent velocity wise don't smoke much and works well in all kinds of cases, usually with less powder then unique also.

Loademup
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I was going to get 231 at first, but since Unique can be used for both calibers, got that instead. I already have the labels for the .45 tests, but need to loademup first. First time I download the Hodgdon data, gotta look at that. Very interesting.